Sunday, September 27, 2009

MAKING YOUR HOME SING: PUT BEAUTY IN IT

Making your home sing Mondays


Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). My point with each Monday post is, what are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing?

It can be an attitude or an action. Motivation, our attitude, baking, encouraging our husband or children (if we have either one), organization, cleaning, saving money....the opportunities are endless.

If your home could sing, what would it be singing lately? Would it be singing "I'm So lonesome I Could Cry?" or "Come Together?"

"Hello, Goodbye;" or "We Can Work It Out!" Perhaps it's "Rainy Days and Mondays;" "Solitaire" or "Can't Smile Without You?"

What is the most important part of the home? Its foundation. Without a good, solid foundation that home will crumble. You cannot build on shifting sand. Jesus is our foundation.

What is the heart of the home? What is the heart of your home?

I've heard it said that the kitchen is the heart of the home. Some say the woman is the heart of the home. Some say the family is the heart of the home. Some may even say that communication or love is the heart of the home.

What makes your home special to you? Is it the beautiful furniture, breathtaking gardens, lovely knicknacks? Or is it the people in it?

Today my dog was whining over his food. He didn't want to eat it but he felt the need to protect it from our other dog, as he was afraid she would eat it (even though she has her own food).

Sometimes we are like that dog. Our possessions become so important to us. Keeping them, cleaning them, caring for them, storing and preserving them all become very important. So important, in fact, that sometimes we don't even get to enjoy them.

How many of you have china in your hutch that belonged to your mother or your great grandmother? Do you ever use it? If no, why? Is it because it's to much trouble to use it, or because you are afraid it will get chipped or broken? This is a very real fear if you give a toddler a dish, but could your eight year old handle it?

Do you have beautiful pillow cases, table toppers or quilts that your grandmother made that are sitting in a drawer somewhere? Do you have beautiful pieces that you are preserving but you aren't getting any joy out of them?

What are we teaching our children about things if we don't enjoy what we have? If we teach them that things are to be preserved but not enjoyed? Can we at least frame something and put it out so that we can enjoy it? Can we protect it and enjoy it at the same time somehow?

Sometimes we don't get the beauty out of life because we are to "serious." We are so caught up in making the home run, in cleaning and providing the meals, doing the dishes and laundry, that we forget to take joy in what we are doing. We forget to have fun.

We forget to be in the very life that we're living. Where is the joy? Where is the laughter? Where is the beauty?

This week, my friends, lighten up! Look for a way to bring the beauty into your home. Look for a way to brighten your day and everyone else's by bringing beauty into it.

It could be flowers, candles, music. A warm fire or wide open windows (depending on where you live). It could be sleeping on grandmother's pillow cases or eating off of your mom's good china.

Put beauty in your home. Put you into your home! What's missing might be YOU!

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own Making Your Home Sing Monday Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post. Also, please don't forgot to leave me a comment!

21 comments:

  1. For the last couple of years, I've been trying to use the possessions I love. If I love something but don't use it, I get rid of it. That takes care of unwanted clutter around our home...one less thing I have to dust, clean or store. I also think of the cleaning and storing issues when I'm considering purchasing something. I'm not a high energy person, so the less there is to clean, the happier I am!

    Blessings, Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. OUCH girl I needed this post today. I so need to lighten up. Thanks for the post. Please help me lighten up...please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jesus makes my home special. He is the heart of our home. Recently, I told my hubby I didn't care if we gave our kids all our possessions and lived in a very small cabin/cottage somewhere...just as long as I am with my wonderful husband and surrounded by the presence of my Heavenly Father.

    Blessings, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not so sentimental about "stuff". The more I give away, the more I seem to have. Where does this stuff come from? And I am not hiding a bunch of stuff somewhere to get out 10 years from now. I'm with you: let's just use it already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been lighting scented candles during the day for a few days now...and I think aromatherapy really works to lighten my mood!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so agree with this post!! I try not to have items in my home that are "just for looks." If I have something, I want to use it and enjoy it. But, there are plenty of things that I need to lighten up about! I need to remember to spend more time enjoying my family compared to trying to take care of our stuff. Definitely more incentive to declutter even more! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have pretty old dishes...it's fun to put them out to beautify the house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are right! What good is something if we are afraid to enjoy it?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love this post! I do try to use my Grandmother's china and my collected teacups. I do have other things that aren't out and will be thinking about how to enjoy them more. And I always need to get rid of more stuff - LOL!

    I will do my best to lighten up this week - great advice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You make a great point. It's wonderful to have things to cherish from parents or grandparents, but one of the ways to cherish those things is to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, yes, yes! We all need to lighten up(or me at least). Funny that you should post this is week, but I seriously was telling my husband how I have all these candles, but yet I don't burn them(mostly because they are a little expensive to replace). But I told him...no more...I am going to enjoy my candles this fall and winter...and I will just buy the cheap ones to replace them when the time comes. Yes...lighten up and enjoy. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very true Nan!! What's the point of having special things if you're not enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like your home is a great place.

    In our house I love to have things that were passsed down. I think the most favorite thing we have is an old wooden map that my grandfather made, he labeled all the places he traveled for World War II. It is so special to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Nan! This is great and I am sorry I haven't been able to join in today! A bit of a crazily busy day.
    Love Collette xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post, Nan!!

    LOL, I think I lighten up too much! heehee

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wanted to leave my link for my post today (it wasn't an actual Make your Home Sing post, but I poured into cleaning and decorating over this weekend and posted a pic)but wasn't sure if that was cheating. :)

    I am SO with you on the enjoying your things rather than showcasing. My mom has this china set that she keeps all locked up....she brags on how much it is worth but I have never seen her use it EVER. Wha? My "nice" set is a set from Pier One that I splurged when it was on clearance and I break out those bad boys whenever I want. :)

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh, and my song today would be "LifeSong" by Casting Crowns. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Terrific post...You are so right! As I've been on a kick to simplify my life, that has also included making sure we use the things we have. If I'm not going to use it, why keep it? I think the love we have for our families often manifests itself in the little touches throughout our home. It just shows.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great reminder! Sometimes I lose sight of this, but mostly I try to make my home and everything in it functional AND beautiful! This is my first week to join in and I'm really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OOOO like this a lot! I will try to lighten up from tomorrow on. It´s been a long tight day today.

    sorry I fogot to link up. I posted and then ran out of time to link.
    :( I had to post it though and made in time for the meme but no one new. :( bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  21. always, great thoughts...

    Blessings & aloha!

    (ok, so I dont now if I already told you on another post comment...that's what I get for jumping around and then stopping and going, etc..

    so, sorry if I repeat myself again!

    but I do have a blog hug (aka award) for you at my place...

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!