Sunday, August 30, 2009

MAKING YOUR HOME SING: SCHOOL DAZE

Making your home sing Mondays

Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). My point with each Monday post is, what are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing?

It can be an attitude or an action. Motivation, our attitude, baking, encouraging our husband or children (if we have either one), organization, cleaning, saving money....the opportunities are endless.

Tomorrow we start homeschooling again. Wow, the summer went fast! I can hardly believe it.

The first week of school is usually an adjustment as we go from the carefree (?) days of summer back into the school routine again.

For my son it's an adjustment as he is back into school again. Back to getting up a bit earlier, back to school work, back to a bit more scheduled day.

For me it's an adjustment as I now have less time in my day, so I usually spend the first week "tweaking" my schedule and figuring out what works and doesn't work in our homeschool schedule.

Each year I make up a new schedule. Some of it remains the same, but it's always a bit different as each year we drop a class and/or add a new one.

I like having a routine for my homeschooling day, as well as the rest of the day. It keeps me on track, and it makes sure that my priorities are in line with what I'm doing.

After all, if I say that homeschooling is a priority, but I put everything else ahead of it, then it isn't much of a priority is it?

A schedule helps me to get in all the little things that need doing around here, homeschooling, dishes, laundry, meals, cleaning, etc. The nice thing is that a schedule works for you, you don't work for the schedule. If it doesn't work, adjust it!

I have a block of time in the afternoon in which I schedule all sorts of things. I can rotate those things through that block of time, as I don't necessarily do the same thing every day. That way, I can have a bit of freedom in my schedule, but the block of time remains constant. It's what I do with it that changes.

So this week I will be making my home sing by getting back into the school routine again, and figuring it out. That also means that I will have less time on the computer, which means I may not be visiting your blog as much, or if I do, I may not be commenting as much.

Just know that y'all are much appreciated and please forgive me if I don't get around as much. It's time to go back to the school daze!

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own Making Your Home Sing Monday Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post. Also, please don't forgot to leave me a comment!

21 comments:

  1. the red flowers you asked about are Geraniums...huge wild looking monsters this year!!!
    you are sweet to say such nice things...I love it!
    Now..there are no garden tours here that I am aware of...sad...isn't it...I am sure there are some beautiful gardens in this city!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent the day planning our week for homeschool. It feels good when things are ready and in order...I guess that means my home will sing. I like that.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you have a great school year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to have a routine more than a schedule. It helps to keep things organized and flowing smoothly. A schedule with times and all makes me a little manic when something throws the schedule off. But I definitely need routine. It is funny that what we start with at the beginning of our school year almost never even closely resembles what we end up with at the close of the year. As you say, we are always tweaking. And it is never the same from year to year as moves, babies, and whatever else, jump in to shake it up. But how I adore the whole mess:)

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to get back to a schedule...this past month has been so crazy and out of sorts. but with all their sporting events, I can't help but to make a schedule soon:) Have a great first day of school tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are in the same boat! But, we start school next Tuesday!

    I'll be linking up tonight, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah yes, we have just completed our first week, second week for the college student. It's not as bad as I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. we start school Tuesday. I want to homeschool....but my husband is against the idea and always has been.
    I need to get a schedule set again too...three trips to school each day...then add to that ...hockey practice, and what ever the girls get into...and my house, gardens...etc...etc...I need a bigger clock!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes it feels good to get back into a routine. I pray you guys are able to do so with as little pain as possible. And I hope you have a great school year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We need to get our schedules back too! It's tough, but it sure would make things less hectic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We will begin after labor day. I am looking forward to the special time with my son.
    Blessings,andrea

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck with the new school year...you will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I definitely love a routine that has a block of time for spontaneity. A routine that does not allow for that never works for me at all. And the whole routine is thrown out the window with a frustrated mom. LOL
    Hope you have a great home school year! What grade are you in with your youngest son?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am getting to that point, as one has already started in school and my other one begins next week. So we are between summer modes right now, trying to get out of the lazy days of summer and into the school routines.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, my kids called it "Froggy" when it was FOGGY outside, too!

    Memories!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  16. Definitely takes adjusting getting back into school. Praying you have an awesome year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nan,

    I'll be praying for this period of adjustment and tweaking for you. I'll also be praying for the Lord's wisdom and peace over you and your home as you prepare for this next school year.

    Blessings and big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the great advise! I will keep that in mind if we have to battle with that as well. I didn't even think about when he can crawl out and join us on his own!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like a good idea. Have a good year of homeschooling.


    Today I woke up with a desire to clean and organize. Finally! I was hoping a day like this would come along soon.

    I had the kids help a lot and the living room looks more like a living room than a storage place.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well, Nan, you know that I know what you are talking about. I will enjoy your comments when I get them and know that you still love me when I do not. ☺

    ♥Hope

    ReplyDelete
  21. Same here girl! I am not easing into it too well though. really trying.

    Praying i can make my schedule work for us!

    Have missed you but I know why and it´s the same way here.

    Can´t wait to get started but at the same time a little hesitant.

    Big hugs! and Animo!! (as we encourage people here in Spain)

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!