Sunday, August 9, 2009

MAKING YOUR HOME SING MONDAY: STAY HOME!

Making your home sing Mondays

Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). My point with each Monday post is, what are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing?

It can be an attitude or an action. Motivation, our attitude, baking, encouraging our husband or children (if we have either one), organization, cleaning, saving money....the opportunities are endless.

Sometimes I just stare at the beginning of my week in a blank. There is just so much to do. Errands to run, homeschooling to do (if it's during the school year), laundry to wash and fold, meals to prepare and clean up after, ministries to serve in, phone calls to make, bills, dishes, floors to wash, closets to organize, etc.

If you have little kids you have diapers to change, noses to wipe, owies to kiss, playgroups to go to. If you have older kids or teens you have events to drive them to, special clothing for these events to buy, phone calls to make, things to pay for, things to keep track of and events to attend.

If you don't have kids you still find yourself amazingly busy; either with your needs, your husband's, a neighbors.....there is always something.

If you work outside the home, you already have several hours committed a week to your outside job. Then you have to come home and try and play catch up. If you don't work outside the home you often have people calling you asking you to do this or that "because you don't work and have more time than I do."

One thing I know about myself is that I have a tendency to make myself to busy outside the home. Especially when the kids were younger. I didn't want them to miss anything so we went alot. Even if it was fun, it still ate away at my time.

I am not speaking about serving in a ministry either. After all, if I want someone to teach my child in VBS or Sunday School, then perhaps I am needed to take care of their baby in the nursery so that they can serve elsewhere. We are to use our gifts in the body of Christ!

What I am saying is that sometimes it's hard for moms to stay home. And if we don't stay home it's hard for us to get stuff done.

Lots of things are good things: having lunch with friends, shopping a sale, running errands, going to the library. Fellowshipping with friends is fun! Saving money by shopping wisely is awesome!

But we also need to organize our time. If we plan well, we won't find ourselves needing to leave the house yet again because we forgot to drop off our overdue library books or because we forgot to buy something when we were at the store yesterday.

We went to Costco on Friday. If you read my facebook status (if you didn't, aren't you glad you don't have to read my "exciting" updates?) you will know that I ran out of laundry detergent yesterday and we are running out of dog food. Guess who is going back to Costco today? Can you say "Make a list, Nan, and read it????"

You know, sometimes it's just so tempting to leave the house because it's a lot more fun to meet my friends at Costco than to stay home and fold laundry. Even if I don't really need to go to Costco (except today I do, lol!).

There's nothing wrong with having a little fun is there? But when fun begins to constantly interfere with keeping our home, then it becomes a problem. Am I to busy running around with my friends to get dinner on time? Am I to busy watching t.v. that I can't provide my family with clean clothes? Am I to busy talking on the phone or facebooking (or blogging) that I don't have time to spend with my Lord?

Sometimes the best way we can make our homes sing is to stay home and bless our homes by being in them and meeting our families needs! So, guess what I will be trying to do this week?

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own Making Your Home Sing Monday Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post. Also, please don't forgot to leave me a comment!

25 comments:

  1. Amen, my friend. Needed to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a truth. I make it a point to leave my home for errands and appointments only one day each week. I always schedule my appointment in advance so that I can get them on my errand day. I keep a list in my palm pilot throughout the week so that the night before I can make a strategy. Everyone knows that if they don't notify me before hand than it will have to wait til the next week.

    I also do a lot of my shopping on line to cut down on the amount of stores I have to visit and such.

    I used to do a lot in the way of teaching and volunteering, but between baby number 4 and 5 (who were 15 months apart) it became evident I needed less to do...which made me happier because I was less stressed. The kids happier because they got to stay home and do what they love best.

    When my older girls were younger they danced, took piano lessons, skating etc... We were really blessed when my husband was laid off. Just after baby number 4. We had to quit everything for financial reasons. After 3 months of being home and having no place to go we realized we loved it and didn't miss all that stuff.

    We still do some things once in awhile, don't get me wrong. But for the most part, we only do things that have life value (say piano lessons...they can use that in Worship) and things that are in the service of God. Even then we limit it to things the whole family can do together...like cleaning the church.

    We try to go out only one night a week and make a point to keep the weekends strictly for family time...be it working around the yard together, going to a museum or going to worship.

    Anyway, that has worked well for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wise, wise, so wise. Great post!!! Oh, and thanks for the reminder. I almost forgot that I need to go pick up dog food today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said my friend, well said. I was just thinking that :)

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!! I have been practicing this as of late. I am not a homebody, but sometimes I need to plant my feet here so life isn't out of control!

    Great post!!!

    Mrs. Nurse Boy

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the truth my friend!Great post! Hope you have a great week! Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love staying home. If that makes my home sing. It must be singing a lot. HAHA I do what I need to do outside of the home and then I desire to get right back home. And sometimes my whole family is out and about doing every thing they have to do but I still just want to get back home.
    thanks Nan for reminding me that that is a good thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a designated "stay at home" day on Thursdays. I make all of my lists, plan the menu, blitz, and get ready for the weekend. It's such a blessing to have a stay at home day!! And to say NO to the possibility of doing every thing every day. Sometimes we just do without rather than run to the store every day. These are good tips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nan,
    I know all about ill used time! I really do not like errands, shopping, or appointments; they all tire me. I would always rather be at home. I don’t even like going out visiting. All these things seem tiresome to me, but when I kick myself into gear, it ends up not being as bad as I thought, and sometimes I actually enjoy it little, especially a visit with a friend.
    I have to often use the phrase, “Just do it!” to get myself going, and one I am started, I accomplish quite a lot…it is just that sometimes I have to keep repeating it to myself all day long!
    ♥Hope

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what you mean! I always find that I get so little accomplished, and feel so much more stress when I'm out and about a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love to be at home. We used have the kids in everything & it was so hard & very stressful. Now each child gets to do one thing & we are home alot more. Everyone is happy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too, keep lists for everything on my fridge. One for things for Target, Grocery Store, Costco and then other...

    I try to just run around and get things done in one day and then if anything else pops up like skating last minute or doctors visits then I know I won't be impacting anything else.

    I am a list girl so you will almost always find one on my even down to things we need to pack at the beach, just so we don't forget things like camera's or heaven forbid, sun block.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post-I'm guilty of not prioritizing my time-alot!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post...I agree...being home is important and worthwhile. As a homeschooler, we use outings as our downtime because we aren't out every day. We designate one day as the day we get to go out to lunch, hit costco, target, and whatever other stores we need to hit. It works really well WHEN I STICK TO IT. Summer has seen that all fall into ruins and I'm desperate to create some order again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know, God was just talking to me about that the other day. I was reading in psalms about the strange woman and how she was always out of the house. Of course I am not saying that those that spend time out of the house are strange woman at all, I have done it and I don´t consider myself the strange woman. But God used that to show me that a woman of God enjoys the time at her house, taking care of her husband´s and her kids needs. Not so much that she spends time at her house, but fruitful time at her house.

    Anyway, reading your post today was just a reminded of it again.

    Hey, guess what, today is my first MYHSM :)!! I don´t know why I waited so long, I love this meme so much! Hope you don´t kick me out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amen! We are, unfortunately, growing a generation of kids that don't know what it means to enjoy being at home. It's all about having fun outside the home because that's where the action is. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was a perfect post for me today!!! I will be staying at home today...gotta get caught up with rounding up all those pesky dust bunnies, laundry (thankgoodness we dont have to do it with a washboard near the creek!), and organize, organize, organize!

    As always, you are an AWESOME blogger friend!

    I have an award for you, please pick it up at my place ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. So true!! I dislike cleaning on the weekends, so I make sure to get it done during the week. On Sunday mornings, it looks like a tornado went through the house though!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have one day which I shop at the 3 stores that I normally do grocery shopping at - military commissary, Aldi, and natural food store. We try to only go get things at other stores if needed. Library is usually en route to church as it is on the way. It has helped cut down on the amount of time I spend away. Most of the time the children come with me though. :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey, regarding your "Underlining" problem. I really do think I'll do an HTML tricks and tips in a few weeks. A few have requested it, and I'll be able to teach a few things, hopefully.

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am really deep down a home body! We have allowed our kids to pick one extra activity(not for every season...for the year), and we stick with it. I am just a little spoiled with my hubby working at a grocery store...he always calls before he leaves for the day to see if there is anything I need.

    Great post...great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Am I to busy talking on the phone or facebooking (or blogging) that I don't have time to spend with my Lord?

    Preach it! Mrs. Preacher! LOL but I needed it! stepped on the toes but I am going to remedy this. Shuttin down now! ;)

    oh I ment to post today for MYHS but had to go to the Police station for an hour and then to the phone house (store where we got the cell phone that got stollen so I had to go to the Police Station so I had to file a report..ect..) wEll it wasn´t as exciting as it sounds.

    I just really wanted to post what I had been thinking about but well, it will have to wait. Next week I will post about how Hubbies make our home sing!! He will be home tomorrow! yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the days we just stay home. My boys really love staying home. If we go to more than one place in a day they will say..."no more,please!!". We are home bodies :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great post, and so true!

    ReplyDelete
  25. that reminds me... i have laundry piling up.. ugh!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!