Sunday, August 23, 2009

MAKING YOUR HOME SING: IT'S ABOUT TIME

Making your home sing Mondays


Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). My point with each Monday post is, what are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing?

It can be an attitude or an action. Motivation, our attitude, baking, encouraging our husband or children (if we have either one), organization, cleaning, saving money....the opportunities are endless.

This last week went fast. August is nearly over and Fall is on its way. Another school year is beginning and come January another new year will begin. Where does the time go?

Every year about this time, it strikes me that this is a good time to do some prayerful planning for the next year. I look at our homeschool schedule and any new classes, and make any changes that need doing. I also take a look at my own household schedule to make sure that it's still working for me. As the school year begins I get a lot busier with ministry things too.

Then I think about how nice it would be to learn to sew. It occurs to me that if I had wanted to learn to sew I could have started last September and come this September I would have had a whole year of learning under my belt. Who knows, I might even have made that belt!

Are there things you want to learn? Are there things you want to do? What is stopping you?

Sometimes it's money, and that's a good one. Yes, I'd love to learn to sew, I think, but I don't have a sewing machine and I don't want to buy one or to pay for lessons to relearn how (I took it in junior high and forgot everything I learned).

Sometimes it's ambition. I don't have the desire to grab a book and teach myself, even if I had a sewing machine. I don't have the desire to sew by hand either. So I guess I just don't want to learn to sew that much, do I? I like the idea of it, but just can't seem to wrap my mind around the actual doing of it.

Sometimes it's priorities. There are things I'd rather do, or learn, than sewing. So I put my time and effort into that.

Sometimes it's time. It's always about time. There's not enough time to talk about time. We don't have the time.

I have several things that I keep saying that I want to do (or need to do) but I'm not doing them. That's because I'm to busy blogging, or reading, or cleaning, or organizing or cooking, or whatever other choices I make with my time.

If I want to do the things that I want to do, then I need to make the time to do them. Whether I blog less, or read less, or do-something-less. I can't get more time so I have to make more time. I have to make more time to do some of the things I've been wanting to do but putting off.

I can't do everything so I have to choose some things that I want to do. That's time management. Setting priorities and using your time wisely.

So one of the things that I am going to make time for is meal planning. I haven't been doing that lately. Yet it's definitely a time saver and a budget saver. I also want to get back in the habit of trying out a few new recipes. I haven't been doing that lately either.

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own Making Your Home Sing Monday Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post. Also, please don't forgot to leave me a comment!

24 comments:

  1. Oh, I wish we lived closer, I could teach you to sew. It's so fun just to be able to go down there and make something! I find good quality machines at the garage sales all the time. But handstitching isn't that hard, and it's quite fun also.

    Ambitions for the year? Boy, I'm kind of a go-getter already. I usually have to throttle back rather than gear up! I'd like to start running, which is something I've been reading about more than doing, if you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to find a time to be more organized. Since I went back to work, my house and home are pure chaos.

    Wish I had time for something fun and new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess you talked yourself out of learning to sew. Actually you just talked your way through weather it was a priority or not and you concluded it was a good idea, but not your priority.

    A good lesson we could all learn.

    Take care and have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to learn to knit...still haven't. I would also love to learn to use my cameras. Ugh.
    I too need to start menu planning again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Nan, my friend...you and I are on the same wavelength this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. right now I have a list a mile long of things I want to do....desperately want to do...but have no ambition or idea how to do them...I know how to do them..just not where to start...or do I?? you know what I mean.
    One of those things is to do your meme...but never seem to get that far!!! I have a lot of ideas...no gumption right now..fall is on it's way...and that in itself makes me sad...
    I am starting a whole new chapter of my life right now and it seems far more time consuming than I ever imagined! When things are busy...mentally and physically...you tire and get out of focus...that is where I am now...
    look at me...almost wrote a whole post!!! lol
    good one today friend...
    Hockey school starts tomorrow...for my son...and me...sadly he can't drive! lol
    better get to bed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to be good at menu planning but it's fallen by the wayside yet again!!! I have so many things I would like to try but just don't get the time either!!
    Love Collette xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also use this time of year (beginning of school year) to do some planning. :) I've also gotten a bit slack myself about meal planning. With garden coming in, I don't feel like I have to be quite so well-planned as we often make do with garden meals. Talk about a budget saver! :)
    By the way, a good friend sounds like just the ticket for teaching you to sew!! There's no better way to learn. :)
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, it's all about time isn't it? We only have so much in a day. Although, that is probably wise on God's part. If we had more time, we would just fill it up too ;)

    Happy Monday my friend!
    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Nan, it is the same for me with meal planning...I really have to work on that.

    Have a great Monday!
    ♥Hope

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Nan,
    I always wanted to learn to sew too! I am so lazy about that and I have the great opportunity to learn it for free because my Mother knows how to sew. She makes the most beautiful things! She was the one that made all my curtains for my kitchen, office and bathroom. She also make the cutest summer and holiday dresses for my Pink Angel. She is always dressing up the oil bottle and the toaster with the cutest dress =)
    Man I need to tell her to teach me, it's never to late to learn, right?
    BTW I need to organize my schedule for the day! I need to plan how to spend time here and there and everywhere! Now that my kiddos are back in school I totally have more time to blog and visit you and my other bloggy friends =)
    I really want to do your meme but it is very hard for me to write, you know me I am more of a Picture Gal. Well another thing that is stopping me is my grammar, my first language is Spanish and I'm totally afraid that people will judge me about my incorrect grammar. I know I have horrible horrible grammar and well it's just hard I guess!
    I also want to invited you to stop by my blog I made a post about my name and I would love to know more about yours, so whenever you have time stop by and join the fun!
    ~Have a Beautiful Monday my Beautiful Friend! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well seeing as school starts for one of my kids on Wednesday today begins prep day for that and then she attends a Leadership camp all weekend. WOW!

    I guess that means laundry and chores today and then the fun begins on Wednesday. Loved your list by the way. I love to sew, quilts mostly and I serious need to get to making my kids come jammies. I mean my mom did it, so I figured, why can't I???

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love to meal plan! It is the only way that I enjoy cooking at all! I am terrible at whipping things up and it never tastes good either. Then I feel like I wasted my time and my money. I love preparing a good meal. I love eating it with my family. Today, I am making homemade cookies for snack for the kids when they come home from school. I am such the Holly Homemaker, I know! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. It really is all about time is it not...what we love we will make time for. I know there is a lot less of certain things I should be doing, and learn to even love more the things I put off doing. Thanks for your reminder, Nan. You always have such good thoughts that you share with this meme.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just RED your comment. I can't help but feel BLUE that you didn't leave me more GOLDEN words of wisom. Oh well. Maybe next time!

    =0)

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am with you girl!
    Guess what I have to make time to do?

    Get my Spanish drivers License.
    Keep up with my piano practice.
    Keep up with my workouts.
    And of course what you are talking about .. .Keep up with that meal planning. It does help to have a list. I just wing it sometimes.

    How are we going to do this? I have a mock schedule started and I am trying to work these things in but I am still not getting to bed. HELP! Gotta get this thing on the road!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stopped by to say hi. I hope your weekend was great!

    Today I'm celebrating my 2nd Blogoversary with a giveaway of 2 gifts to 2 commenters on the giveaway post. It ends at midnight tonight. Come on over and enter. I'm looking forward to seeing your entry.

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm going to do nothing, because I feel like a big, fat, lazy whale!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Isn't that the truth? It is what I always tell my children, "Our actions show our real priorities and if they don't, we need to change one of them--either what you say matters doesn't really matter or what you do doesn't really matter as much as you think it does!"

    Nan, I linked up to you on my Monday post, but it isn't a MYHSM post...so I didn't jump on Mr. Linky. Have an awesome week my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Time...if only there were more of it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for your kind words. It has been suggested that I write a part 3 to my testimony. People don't know where I am today and how I got here.

    You know part of it. I guess I shouldn't leave people hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I need to learn a little more of sewing but then other things would be sacrificed, which really need to be. :D

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!