Sunday, July 5, 2009

MAKING YOUR HOME SING WHEN YOU DON'T WANT TO

Making your home sing Mondays

Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). My point with each Monday post is, what are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing?

It can be an attitude or an action. Motivation, our attitude, baking, encouraging our husband or children (if we have either one), organization, cleaning, saving money....the opportunities are endless.

I don't want to make my home sing this week. Does that surprise you? Well, it surprises me too. I am just not feeling it.

It's hot, I am tired, and once again I am behind on my laundry, my kitchen is a mess, my living room is a mess, my bathroom, etc. and honestly, I just don't want to deal with it.

This is what happens when I get busy during the week and I don't keep up with my daily cleaning routines. Then I have to get busy some more because I know I have to dig myself out.



Did I mention that I get grumpy when I have to dig myself out? Did I mention that I don't want to dig myself out?

This is why I try not to let things fall apart around here to much. Because when things get messy, I get crabby. When mom is crabby, it just puts a damper on things.

When mom gets crabby, sometimes it just seems to send a message that she isn't happy with making a home. Nobody is going to stop and think, "Oh, she's unhappy with the mess." Instead they might think "Oh, she's unhappy with me."

By the way, did I mention that sometimes I have a bit of a martyr complex? That I would much rather clean and pick up and complain than ask for help? Did I mention that? Did I mention that sometimes I like to moan and feel sorry for myself and have a little "pity party" instead of asking for help?

Did I mention that I can get annoyed with my family for not doing something that I haven't asked them to do? Did I mention that sometimes I put expectations on my family but I don't have the same expectations for myself? Did I mention that? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Lest you think that my family has made a huge mess around here, I am sad to report that much of it is mine. In fact yesterday my hubby cleaned up the entry hall (without me knowing) of stuff I unloaded a couple of days ago and I never put away, bless him! Did I tell you that I didn't even notice until today, so I didn't thank him till today? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Nobody knows I'm getting grumpy, because they haven't seen it yet. So, for me, the best way to make my home sing is to spend some time in prayer with my Lord. Thanking Him for my family, thanking Him for my home, mess and all. Thanking Him for the opportunity to love and serve Him by loving and serving my family.

Then, it's time to get back to making my home sing!

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own Making Your Home Sing Monday Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post. Also, please don't forgot to leave me a comment!

You may need to delete whatever was in the box previously, but don't worry, you're not deleting someone's link. Mr. Linky just may not be cleaning up after himself, that's all. Just delete whatever is in the box and put in your own link.....you won't ruin anything!



28 comments:

  1. I can say I've done all of these grumpy mom things. I'm not proud of it either, but as you do I shall do...thank God for my family, my home and the mess.

    God bless all of us, grumpy or not.
    Thanks again, Nan for your insight & wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw the picture. Great acting...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yupp..that would be me the last couple of days..grumpy! And when mommy is grumpy, ain't nobody going to be happy!

    But, that is not the right attitude! I have check my heart w/ the Lord!!! I get convicted each and every time. Sometimes sooner than later!

    I'm about to get my post ready now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and there I thought I was the only one...thanks for the honesty, for it helps not to feel alone in one's frustration.

    I have dishes in the sink, a mountain of laundry and clutter on the dining room table, yet I have rested. Sometimes we just have to take a moment for ourselves, so we aren't so grumpy.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH yes this sounds eerily familar!

    I tackled my house today but within an hour the floor was messy again and of course my kids didn't care about making it dirty!!!!

    I still have tons of laundry to do and I don't feel like messing with it at all!

    Maybe we can both get things done and get in a "happy" mood in the pricess :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today's post spoke to me...seems you and i have a bit in common. GOD bless, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meh...I don't feel much like making my home sing this week either! But my husband is incredibly sick, so taking care of him is kind of eclipsing my usual chores anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG is that me talking -- I swear we are the same person out of that post. Thanks for sharing -- you helped me with a couple of things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. been there more times than not! my favorite thing to say...."I can't take a day off...or I have to work harder the next"
    being a perfectionist and a neat freak makes it hard for anyone to do anything to help me...although I am getting a lot better at allowing things to be just short of perfect...as I am learning that a home should be just clean enough to be healthy, but messy enough to be comfortable!
    did that make sense?
    I hope you pull yourself out of the crabby soon girl...a mom's work will wait for her forever!!! but it will be bigger every day...kinda like a child!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't help but wonder why I get grumpy when my house is dirty too! I need to work on just remaining calm when I go to get it picked back up...I find myself getting grumpy just getting it back in order. Thanks for the reminder.

    Whistle while you work....~smile~!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even the queen of making our home's sing gets behind sometimes? I am so glad to know that you don't feel like working at it sometimes too! I feel so much better now! haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there I am exactly the same! I have a martyr complex and get stressed when the house is a tip! It is a bit of a state just now since we got back from Camp. There is washing needing dried and a bathroom needing cleaned, but my motivation is lacking. Thanks for your honesty and helping me feel not quite as bad or guilty for lack of drive!
    Love Collette xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I know exactly what you mean my friend. I have had more of those days than I care to admit. I do hope you are able to get un-grumpy. And I hope you are able to get that mess cleaned up. At least then one of us would have a clean house because I know my mess is not going anywhere today ;) Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yea, my house has fallen by the wayside this weekend. But I didn't care. I was busy having FUN! I'll clean later. ha ha ha

    Love that picture of you, Nan. Who's the tall gal in the blue and white shirt standing above you though? =0)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute, Nan, you and Grumpy make a good pair. *Smile*

    Oh, you said it all just the way it so often goes! You must be watching me.

    Have a HAPPY Musical Monday.

    ♥Hope

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for reminding me that we all get into the mopey-mom funk sometimes... and thank you for not excusing it. God has chosen us for the very important job of loving and caring for our families and our homes - there's no time for moping!

    ReplyDelete
  17. When mom gets crabby, sometimes it just seems to send a message that she isn't happy with making a home. Nobody is going to stop and think, "Oh, she's unhappy with the mess." Instead they might think "Oh, she's unhappy with me."

    ISN'T THIS THE TRUTH!!! I've had to apologize and say, "It's not you, it's me or it's such and such that's bothering me." BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!

    By the way...tag...you're it! Stop by my blog to see what this means!

    Perhaps if you whistle while you work, you'll get out of the grumpy mode!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, yeah...I get really grumpy too! There was some of that around here this weekend! We are getting ready for Alex's birthday party and vacation...and I'm definitely trying to dig myself out! why is it that I must have a clean home when I'm gone...and it's usually a mess when I'm here tying to enjoy it being clean? Oh well...and I totally feel sorry for myself when not asking for help! bless my kids for helping out...and poor Dan for sensing my crabbiness and cleaning up to save himself! ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know all about the martyr syndrome... I use it all the time to talk my hubs into making me a cake (my favorite food)... especially after working 3 or 4 night shifts in a row! lol! When I start to border whining... then I usually am less likely to get what I want, though!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I could have written this post myself!!! We all can fall into the bad attitude! It really is our Father who can help us out of it! Great post!

    Mrs. Nurse Boy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Isn't it funny (not really funny) when you start cleaning and realize most of the mess is yours! This happens to me sometimes. I get on my kids for scattering their stuff all around and I think I know just where they get this habit from!

    Cute photo of you and the little dwarf! Hope you and your family enjoyed the 4th. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh no--I even forgot today was Monday!!

    Love the picture of you with Mr. Grumpy! Thanks for being so real, Nan! Goodness, I need my Jesus time too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've just selected you for the Honest Scrap Award. I'm guessing you've had it before, but you are my first choice since you were my first follower and you inspired me to start a blog.

    Aren't ya glad it's cooler today?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the grumpy photo. You need a blitz with kids, and the house will be back in order. I didn't link up because I forgot. But it's fun to come and see what others are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my gosh, it's like you have been to my house and seen me on one of my worst days! Thank you so much for the encouragement, I needed it!
    I was just just reading in James 5:16 where it says to "confess your sins to one another and pray for each other so that you may be healed." It is so good to hear that we are not alone in our struggles! Again, thank you for you words.
    Stop by our blog anytime, and yes my little one is a handful, but oh so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOL! I get grumpy, too. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Like you, I'm very behind on everything. My kitchen floor is so dirty I wouldn't set foot in it right now without some really thick-soled shoes. And my bathroom? Yuck! But, yes, I still have time to spend in front of the computer, thank you very much. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Okay, I definitely should have taken the time to read this Monday when you posted it because I am so with you on not wanting to make my home sing!! Guess that is why I haven't been around too much. I have been busy doing what I need to do - FINALLY - and I still have all of my stuff to take care of after having gotten my chores back under control. Ugh! At least I am moving again! Thanks for letting me know that I am not alone!! Thank you my dear friend, Nan!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!