Sunday, July 12, 2009

MAKING YOUR HOME SING MONDAY: PLANNING TO FAIL

Making your home sing Mondays

Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). My point with each Monday post is, what are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing?

It can be an attitude or an action. Motivation, our attitude, baking, encouraging our husband or children (if we have either one), organization, cleaning, saving money....the opportunities are endless.

Sometimes the things that can cause us the biggest frustrations in our homes are things that can easily be fixed with just a little thought and/or planning ahead of time.

Last week I was getting ready to leave the house and I couldn't find my other black shoe. It was supposed to be in the closet where it belongs, but it wasn't there. It wasn't there because I had been in a hurry the last time I wore them and hadn't returned them to their proper spot. I had just kicked them off, in a hurry, and one was hiding under something.

Recently I couldn't find my car keys that are supposed to be kept in my purse. Again, I had been in a hurry when I came home and just dropped them down instead of returning them. Then I couldn't find them without a lot of time spent looking.

The nights that I don't clean up the kitchen, which isn't often but it does happen, lead to mornings where I wake up and I am already behind.

Clothes that get washed and forgotten mildew and have to be washed again. Clothes that are dried and forgotten get wrinkled. Spills on the floor or counter can dry and become as hard as cement if they aren't wiped up right away, not to mention they can be dangerous if they're on the floor.

We make more work for ourselves and we stress ourselves out when we don't plan or follow through. Instead, we are planning to fail. Instead of being homemakers who are happy to care for our families, we can become crabby and unpleasant to be around. And many times, it's nobody's fault but our own.

Many times we make more work for ourselves by putting things off. By not getting back to the laundry, or the dishes, or putting things back where they belong or wiping up spills. We think "I'll get to it later."

Isn't it funny how a person can excel at a job they held outside the home because they're paid for it, because they take a certain pride in it, or perhaps because someone is there to motivate them or evaluate them, but they can struggle at their homemaking inside the home?

We can get up early enough to be somewhere on time when we're paid for it, but can't seem to motivate ourselves to get up early enough so that our day at home goes better. We can manage our time when we were working but can't seem to manage our time at home as well.

For me I think I can make my home sing by making better use of my time. By sticking to my routine (click here). By looking at my upcoming week and applying a little time management. By applying the do-it-now principle and doing it now (whenever possible), instead of waiting for later. After all, if I don't want to do it now, why do I think I'll want to do it later?

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own Making Your Home Sing Monday Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post. Also, please don't forgot to leave me a comment!

You may need to delete whatever was in the box previously, but don't worry, you're not deleting someone's link. Mr. Linky just may not be cleaning up after himself, that's all. Just delete whatever is in the box and put in your own link.....you won't ruin anything!

19 comments:

  1. Making better use of our time is very important. We are trying to teach the kids: DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME AND YOU WANT HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN! They do a slacking job and then we make them do it over...taking twice the time. Maybe one day our leading by example will help them to get it.
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right, when we fail to plan we plan to fail. I'm certainly finding it out at this late date, but better late than never. Boy I'm just full of cliches today, aren't I? But anyway, I do need to be better organized and this is just the kick I needed. Thanks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This exact thing happened to me this morning. I put off doing dishes last night so then I had a mess to clean up this morning before I could fix breakfast. It got me frustrated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch! Thanks for the little reminders of what really is important.

    I liked this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word...I so need more time management with my life. I was actually thinking when I head home the next few weeks(time will be my new friend there), I was planning on sitting down and thinking of ideas for better ways I can manage my time. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So me..so true!

    LOL, my post has something to do w/ this!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch!

    But thank you for stepping on my toes. This is something I need to do a better job on. I try. But some days are much worse than others.

    Thanks for always being a motivation to treat our homes and our families better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nan, you're so right! I'm so blessed to have such a great place to call home. It's not anything luxurious but it's home and sometimes I slack off.

    Hope you're having a great Monday!

    Love ya,
    Miti

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post. I tend to procrastinate, which causes problems ;) I'm going to work on staying on top of things!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sandy, I don't know why that is happening since nobody needs permission to link to the meme.

    I tried to see your post on your blog and link it myself but I can't even see your post. All it says is "no posts match your query" and there are no posts on your blog.

    Is your post published? If it is, did you copy the whole URL and paste it into the place where the URL goes?

    Please contact me at momstheword2008@hotmail.com and hopefully we can figure this out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved this post Nan and it really was a wake up call and encouraged me!
    Collette x

    ReplyDelete
  12. My home is already singing... wanna know what it's singing?

    It's singing, ♪♫ "I feel pretty! Oh so pretty!" ♪♫♪

    But it's lying to itself because it has been seriously neglected!

    =0)

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  13. Managing my time better? Now that is something I can do to make my home sing! I am not good! Help me Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You make a very valid point! My home is my responsibility, just as being a good employee is. What a great way to open our eyes to making our homes sing! Glad to be joining in with you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post, Nan! Being on top of things keeps the home happy - and that's our job! Sorry I jumped in here so late this evening. It was a busy day! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, bummer...that is me...how do you know that my laundry is waiting to be put away and i should be packing! haha! I'm terrible with my time and how to organize it! Thanks for the perspective...I sure don't want to do it later either!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wait a minute! Did you sneak in my house? LOL! I've been neglecting the house some lately. I guess to be expected considering the things going on. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are SO talking straight at me! UGH. I am the master procrastinator! Thanks for pointing it out! :)
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!