Sunday, June 21, 2009

MAKING YOUR HOME SING MONDAY:HUSBAND'S PROVISION

Making your home sing Mondays

Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). My point with each Monday post is, what are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing?

It can be an attitude or an action. Motivation, our attitude, baking, encouraging our husband or children (if we have either one), organization, cleaning, saving money....the opportunities are endless.

Have you ever found yourself saying "I wish I had a bigger house?" or "I wish I had a better car?" or "I wish my husband made more money?"

Have you ever said that to anyone else? Have you ever said it to your husband or in front of your husband?

By the way, I have. I once said I wished we had a bigger house (o.k. more than once). I wanted a bigger, newer home, of a certain style, but we couldn't afford to move. The kids were little and we could barely afford the home we were in. But I really had a certain home, in a certain area that I liked. Lots of trees, lots of room, lots of bathrooms, lots of porch.

How do you think it makes our husband's feel, if we put those thoughts into words? Whether we realize it or not, aren't we really saying that their income isn't enough to buy us what we want? Aren't we suggesting that his job isn't good enough? That he isn't being a good provider for us?

Yes, we know that we are to draw our self-esteem from the Lord. But a man's job is a big part of who he is, just like taking care of our homes is a big part of who we are. It is very important to him to be able to provide for his family.

And I believe that if we keep talking about that bigger house or better car, that we are in danger of attacking that part of his self-esteem. We are calling into question his ability to provide for us, as God has given him to do.

What if your hubby continually talked about how great his mom's cooking was? I don't mean "Oh my mom makes great pot roast" but what if he just said "Man, I wish you could cook like my mom!" Would that hurt? What if he said it in front of other people? What if every day, he gave constant reminders that your cooking wasn't good enough. Would it hurt?

I am not talking about trying to live frugally, in order to pay off some bills or save some money. I am not talking about encouraging your husband to finish his schooling, or encouraging him in his job search, or whatever the Lord is leading Him to do.

What I am saying is that we need to be content with where the Lord has placed us. We need to be content with our husband's provision for us, and live within it, and be thankful for it. Because it is God providing for us, through our husbands. If I am not thankful for my husband's provision, than I am not thankful for the Lord's provision. For He is in control.

Do you ever thank your husband for going to work every day? Do you ever encourage your kids to thank him? If you just said to yourself "Well, he never thanks me for all I do around here" I would encourage you to remember that we aren't responsible to the Lord for our husband's behavior and actions. We are only responsible for our own behavior and actions.

Be thankful today for your husband, for the father of your children! Be thankful for your Heavenly Father today and every day!

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! As always, please don't forget to link to this post. Also, please don't forgot to leave me a comment!

You may need to delete whatever was in the box previously, but don't worry, you're not deleting someone's link. Mr. Linky just may not be cleaning up after himself, that's all. Just delete whatever is in the box and put in your own link.....you won't ruin anything!


22 comments:

  1. Oh this really speaks to me. But I try very hard not to say I want more than what I have. My husband and I are struggling to make ends meet at the moment and we both wish we had more money, but I do not attribute it to his worth, nor does he. He is a school teacher, a notoriously underpaid profession, when he made the switch from software to teaching, we knew he would be financially under appreciated. I make a point every day to say, although I would like more money to make our way of life easier to sustain, I am proud that you are a teacher. That you do something you believe in. I also always say, I do not want more than this, I just want to keep this in as good shape as we can. Since society undervalues him so very much I feel it is my place to make sure he is respected and valued for what he does in our home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely going to look around and see how I "can make my home sing"! It's a bit different on the mission field, but I see all the ways God has splashed our little home with His goodness. ... the Masai shield in the corner, drums from different countries, a treasure box hiding our greatest treasures God's Word, and all our furniture that has been given to us by those who believe in our ministry.

    Hugs from Costa Rica,
    Sarah Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great meme you are doing! I have never read you on Monday before but I love what you wrote today. It reminded me that I do not thank my husband for what he does for us nearly enough! This week I am going to make sure I let him know how grateful I am for him. Thanks for reminding me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You like the "coffins" huh? They sure put out a lot of produce. I was surprised that these can hold as much as their big garden did.

    I need to move home so I'll eat right again. Ugh!

    Have a great Monday.

    I will work on telling my hubby thanks for going to work everyday and also helping out so much at home.
    Thanks for the reminder,
    Nannette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Nan! Yes..we should be content in ALL THINGS!

    I do make it a point to thank my husband for allowing me to stay home with the kids. I'm also thankful that he would not have it any other way. It's so easy to take what we have for granted. Our husbands have so much on their plate already. I would hate to add unnecessary remarks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nan, I sooooo needed this reminder this week- you just don't even now how much! We were hoping to move this summer, a family of 6 in a 3 bedroom house is starting to get tight. We decided to hold off one more year to save up more money, we have bare land that needs lots of stuff done to it before we can put a house there. Anyway, I've been trying REALLY hard not to complain about how cramped our house is getting, so this reminder is exactly what I needed to hear. I need to remember how hard my dh works so that I can stay at home with my precious little kiddos.
    Thanks for the reminder!!
    Julianne :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darling Nan,

    What a good and sweet post. Praise God!

    ♥Hope

    P.S. I took some pictures of my kitchen table that I am going to post in answer to your question of how I decorate my house…it is just a little sampling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautifully put!!! We have all done that at times, haven't we? I, too, have learned the hard way. What a gift our husbands are! It can be hard, day to day, to show how much we appreciate them, but it is necessary!!!

    You are so right about being content where we are right now!!! Thanks for the reminder today!

    Mrs. Nurse Boy

    ReplyDelete
  9. we all live in an over indulged society...if we all learned to live a little more simple...we'd be better off in the long run!
    great post today girl

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is always a good reminder!! We each have our place and we need to do better at encouraging each other in their place. About waiting for a thank you from the other person...you were right on the money when you said..we are responsible for WHAT we do. Wouldn't it be a sad thing if we didn't thank others for even the small things we bacause we feel they never thank us.

    My husband had to work yesterday for Fathers Day...and he did it without self pity or complaining...it made me so proud of all he does for our family...and I let him know, how much we loved him and how thankful we were for all he does for our us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! I love this and love the reminder. I am going to try even more today to make my Home sing! Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goodness, you were amost kidnapped? Yea, I thank God that He's watching over my kiddos when Mommy fails!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yeah…I hear you loud and clear; I also refer to mine as cottage style…simple, unpretentious, and comfy. We are really “sister” in this area, I think.

    Thanks for your comments!

    ♥Hope

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nan,I love coming to visit you on "Making your home sing Mondays" But today was especially wonderful. It ministered to me alot.

    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes...I'm guilty of some of those words...but have learned to appreciate all he does...and to not only thank him personally, but to always lift him up in front of others...somehow that means alot too, if not more! :) I've also learned to not say any negative things about him to others even if I'm upset...and I don't like when other's say things bad about their husbands...I know it's hard, but it doesn't feel good to hear it, and what if he knew those things were being said!

    Great post...and very encouraging for us to keep our husband's spirit with the Lord in mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So needed to hear this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There's something on my blog for you ...when you have time

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for this post - it's a good reminder to think before I speak - especially if I'm wishing outloud for more than I need.

    I also wanted to let you know you've been awarded the "One Lovely Blog Award". Come by my blog (Uncomplicated) to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hammocks hammocks... this our first. So we'll see how many times we flip over before we get the hang of it.

    Should have a few laughs.

    That storm was wierd wasn't it. The house was shaking from the thunder. And then it was gone almost as fast as it came.

    See you soon
    Nannette

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great Post. I have done this a time or two.....to my shame. I don't think we as wives really get how many times we can effect our husbands this way. We really need to esteem our hubbys and build them up, not tear them down.

    This is real for me because it is a time in our marriage we struggle financialy. We sold our home 2 years ago and we planned on looking for a new place, our home sold so fast we didnt have time, and so we rented a place......then the economy went in the tank. My husband is very discouraged. The Lord knows though and we are thankful he is providing!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!