Sunday, June 28, 2009

MAKING YOUR HOME SING MONDAY: FIRST PRIORITY

Making your home sing Mondays

Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). My point with each Monday post is, what are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing?

It can be an attitude or an action. Motivation, our attitude, baking, encouraging our husband or children (if we have either one), organization, cleaning, saving money....the opportunities are endless.

I am good at ignoring things when I want to. Really, you'd be amazed at what I can ignore!

I can ignore the fact that eating ice cream after dinner or eating chocolate is not going to make my pants fit any looser.

I can ignore the fact that my laundry is piling up and it's probably not going to wash itself. Where is Martha Stewart when you need her?

I can ignore the fact that it's probably not going to fold itself either.

I can ignore the dust on the tables, the fact that the dog needs a bath, the fact that I haven't exercised in awhile.

I can ignore the recycling that needs to go out, the fridge that needs more groceries, the rug that needs vacuuming, the floor that needs sweeping, the garbage that needs to go out.

I can step over something on the floor instead of picking it up. I can do all this.....and I have.....when I want to.

Why do I want to? Why would you want to?

Because sometimes, just sometimes, there is a good book out there with your name on it. There is a movie you want to see. A friend who needs a listening ear or just wants someone to laugh and have lunch with. A child who needs you. A husband who wants to spend time with you. A Savior who is calling you to a place of quiet rest.

We can ignore the Lord's call. We can be so involved in what we feel we need to do, or what we want to do, that we can manage to ignore Him calling us all day, because we "know" that we will get to Him later. But then later comes, and sometimes we can be to tired. So then we say "tomorrow." How many tomorrows do we have before we make time for Him?

Sometimes you'll hear people talk about balance and priorities. I have heard people talk about how housework takes all day. And it does, if you keep getting sidetracked and pulled away from it, or if you don't actually do it. Or if you do it to perfection, because "good enough" is never good enough.

Sometimes we manage to find time to do everything we want to do, or everything we feel like we need to do, but then we just don't find time for Him. There's always time to watch that t.v. show, or read a chapter of that book, or go on the computer, but not enough time for spend with Him.

The best thing I can do to make my home sing is to let the Lord remind me of His priorities for me. To let Him set the balance, so I don't work to much, or play to much.

To come before Him in prayer and say "This is what I have going today, Lord. What are Your plans? How can I serve You today? Are my plans in keeping with Your plans? Are my priorities in keeping with Your priorities for me? Let me be open to changes in my day when You bring them."

This is the best way to start my day, with Him! Do we really believe that the Lord would not help us make time in our day to spend with Him?

How many times do we go about putting our day in order, without asking Him about His priorities for us? How many times do we make plans, without asking Him what He would have us to do today? How many times do we go about our day without inviting Him into it? We need to make Him our first priority!

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! Please do not put your own Making Your Home Sing Monday Linky on your blog. As always, please don't forget to link to this post. Also, please don't forgot to leave me a comment!

You may need to delete whatever was in the box previously, but don't worry, you're not deleting someone's link. Mr. Linky just may not be cleaning up after himself, that's all. Just delete whatever is in the box and put in your own link.....you won't ruin anything!

23 comments:

  1. Great post! So true. Thanks, for I need to be reminded from time to time on getting my priorities in order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my own life...I give priority to what is truly important to me (good or bad). I can look back and re-examine and that has ALWAYS been the case.

    Blessings, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. nan,

    that is awesome. I have started doing devotions in the morning before even getting on the computer or working out...that way there is no excuse to not spend time with Him.
    I do need to start asking Him more what His plans are for me..sometimes I forget that part & try to do too much on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try going to http://arise2write.blogspot.com
    This is my other blog and a couple of posts down are pictures of the new colt. Maybe you will be able to see what he looks like on that blog. There are actually three pics on there. Hope you enjoy. Thanks for stopping by.
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this post! I had a lousy day today and really needed this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. THank you for this post. I get so caught up in being the Martha sometimes that I don't spend the time needed with the Lord like Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. THat is a great way to start the day..one I'm sorry I don't do so easily. How awesome to ask Him what His expectations are for ourselves instead of stepping over the laundry pile and heading to Target :) THanks so much for reminding us to put Him first...and that there is no other priority! So simple...but sometimes so hard to do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen so true!

    When we wait to spend time w/ Him, more than likely we're asking Him for forgiveness of everything we did that day!

    I'm linking up soon! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. I linked...but not sure it is a good thing or not!!! It is what I did on The weekend...I am doing laundry on Monday!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. great reminder! sometimes, its so easy to get so busy with trivial stuff

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree! Thank you for this. I have been thinking about something similar. really want to post today... might be up later but gonna share what´s helping my Home sing this week. Lord willing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Of late, I have been trying very hard to prioritize my day so that I make time for both what I want to do and what I need to do. It has worked wonders in giving me peace to enjoy my playtime without feeling guilty about the chores going undone (they are no longer undone). With God's guidance, it is easier to find balance in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post my friend! This is something I try to think about. I want to do what's important, not what's urgent. Thank you for the great reminder to look to our Heavenly Father to know what it is important!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a great post.

    There are so many things that I say I don't get to do because I don't have time, but here I am everyday taking time to blog.

    You have hit home and I appreciate so much you doing so.

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is so true and even more true, ignoring things doesn't make them go away or cease to require our attention...it always makes them need us even more! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post and so true. thanks for reminding us.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so good Nan! Asking Him what He has in store for my day? what a concept!! And taking the time to listen? even better! :) Thanks for the challenge. Help me Lord to remember to ask You what You have going on before I start on my own agenda.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not writing a post today, but did want to share that your post was speaking directly to me. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. yep!!! that is a sink in my garden...we don't use it much..the water is icy cold! the kids love to wash up in it once and a while tho!!!
    have a wonderful week ....we are in the throws of a huge thunderstorm...and I need to go console a very scared (and spoiled) dog!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks so much for this post. We do always need to seek God's will first for the day.

    I also like to remind myself too that, God want's our precious time, not our spare time. He deserves that and so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I linked up but almost forgot to post my comment! I had fun joining you this week. Your post is both thought and heart provoking. Prioritizing is definitely in order. Blessings!

    ~Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another fantastic post! Priorities needed a check today, so thank you!
    ~Lesa

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the reminder! Summer is so busy and down right hot that I put off a lot of housework!!

    Mom makes the house go round!! I have to remember that!!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!