Sunday, May 31, 2009

MAKING YOUR HOME SING MONDAY: SUMMER OVERLOAD

Making your home sing Mondays



Yes, it is time for the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme! Every day you are doing something to make your house into a home for yourself and your family (if you have one). My point with each Monday post is, what are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? It can be an attitude or an action. Motivation, our attitude, baking, encouraging our husband or children (if we have either one), organization, cleaning, saving money....the opportunities are endless.

Ladies (and the three gentlemen that told me they read this blog from time to time, hey guys!), summer is officially here. When summer comes something happens to me. I make big, big big, big, big plans for things I want to accomplish over the summer.

I make lists of things I think would be fun to do it as a family, I make a list of projects that I want to accomplish as a family, I make a list of personal projects that I want to accomplish (as in giving the house a good ole' spring cleaning....only in summer).

I have plans to read books, garden, maybe paint a birdhouse or two, painting the railing or redo the bathroom, exercise, go for long walks or bike rides, yard sales, bbq's with friends, solve the world's problems, build a rocket that can go into space for a lot cheaper.....blah, blah, blah.

What usually happens at the end of the summer is that I am underwhelmed with all I've accomplished. I feel like the summer flew by, I didn't get everything done that I wanted, and I end up feeling very frustrated, and sometimes I feel like a failure.

Sometimes I feel guilty for the fun and relaxation that I did have, because it mean that I wasn't being "productive." Sometimes I feel guilty for being to "productive" and not relaxing enough!

I am very detail oriented. You probably don't know that about me, especially when I type in a hurry. But I am. I like to be organized, and I am a planner. I like to be prepared, people, down to the last detail.

So relaxing and just flying-by-the-seat-of-my-pants (who made that up, anyway?) doesn't really work well with me. I like to have a plan. I want to accomplish something. I need to accomplish something. I have to accomplish something!!!!!

Having my little plan, and marking off my little lists puts me in my happy place! If you don't believe me just ask any of the people that know me well. Sadly, they will tell you it's true....sigh! Frankly, I'm surprised the Five Moms didn't boot me out the first week, after having to read my 5,000 emails a day obsessing over every little detail. (But I'm glad they didn't, love you gals!)

So, here is my plan for making my home sing, and yes it does sort of defeat my purpose to have a plan.......ironic, isn't it?

First, I am going to try and have reasonable expectations for my summer. I am going to be doing a Summer Cleaning Frenzy (because I enjoy that sort of thing).

If you want to join us in whipping our homes into shape, one room at a time this summer, please go here to find out what it's all about and how to join us and become a Summer Cleaning Frenzy Friend! I'll be posting updates and linking to all the Friends on my blog soon. Come on, it'll be fun!

As part of it, I'll be using my spring/summer cleaning list, you can view the current room I'll be working on by clicking here. There's also a link posted on my right sidebar (under my daily to-do list) and I will update it as I go. Soon I will also be posting a link on my sidebar to all the Summer Cleaning Frenzy Friends and to their room of the week list as well.

I am also going to try and have a reasonable balance between fun and projects this summer. So that at the end of the summer, my family will still be speaking to me, my friends will still be speaking to me, my dogs will still be speaking to me, and I will still be speaking to me!

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! As always, please don't forget to link to this post. Also, please don't forgot to leave me a comment!

Please note: Mr. Linky has been rather interesting lately, so we want to pamper him all we can. To link up, please click on the box below, and it will take you to the Mr. Linky box where you can link up as usual.

You may need to delete whatever was in the box previously, but don't worry, you're not deleting someone's link. Mr. Linky just may not be cleaning up after himself, that's all. Just delete whatever is in the box and put in your own link.....you won't ruin anything! If you find you have trouble leave me a comment and I'll link you up!


27 comments:

  1. Ummm, I went grocery shopping today...so my home is singing "yay, we finally have something in the cupboards again!"

    LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, I made my bed today...so I guess my sheets are singing YEAH, her butt is finally off of us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are too funny. We would never get rid of you...we love you!
    I agree, we need a good balance of fun with the other everyday routines and the cleaning & projects. Balance is the key:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really and truly get inspired by your list. I too think summer needs to be a balance of relaxing and results(something to show you accomplished goals), and relaxed while doing it all. :) Sounds like a great balance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow Mommy, you've done great. Just visiting here. Thanks for more info in making my house a home.
    God bless.

    here's my link-
    http://sarahg26.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am guilty of wanting to accomplish so many things in the summertime and not always getting it all done.

    My biggest goal this summer is to get my work (job) caught in within the next 2 weeks and take off on Tuesday and Friday. I am determined to spend lots of quality time with Tyler this summer. Time is flying by too fast.

    I will definitely check out all the links you referred to in this post. Also, I am having a yard sale on Friday to get rid of "junk"...decluttering and simplifying is my goal this year.

    Thanks for always giving great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since you're soooo good at stuff like this, can you come down to Texas and clean my house? I'll make sure no scorpions get ya!

    I did clean out the silverware drawer today. Lifted the plastic tray to find DRIED BIG RED and who knows what else made that mess. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm tackling the craft room this week. I think I'll post and come back with a link.

    ReplyDelete
  9. http://organizedeveryday.blogspot.com/2009/05/whats-making-my-home-sing-this-week.html

    That's my link. I'm totally re-thinking the space that I call a craft room.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE what you are doing! What great inspiration for others to get a project done that they have been putting off!! It's always easier with a little motivation- awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every time I read your posts, it makes me want to organize and reorganize!! I look forward to "planning" with you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL! at Tarah's comment...she's already done more than I have...I am out of bed, though!

    I spent at least 2 hours cleaning Alex's room and rearranging it...which means untangling millions of cords! {Yes, Alex, almost 7, has always had a fascination with cords, hooking things up, and has hooked up one of Dan's old computers in his room all by himself!} So, it's now neat and tidy and he is proud of it...until the next cord/wire invasion {sigh!}

    Next stop...emily's room...not as bad!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm soooooo sorry I forgot the link. It was like 11:00 p.m. when I posted. I fixed it. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so excited about this! :D We're singing along while cleaning!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am not a list person. But I do have things I want to get accomplished. Hopefully, I can find a way to balance it all this summer. I know it will go by way too fast!

    Going to have to check out the summer room challenge. Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey, I was thinkin' Nan. At least for WE FIVE MOMS, if one of us dies maybe one of the others would evenutally worry enough to call our phone numbers! We have those! Then at least the other four could post about it on THIS blog if not our personal ones.

    I know... I'm putting WAY too much thought into this!

    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not doing anything today, because I just feel like barfing all the time. Also I have summer overload because my kids keep bickering, and it's overloading my brain!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I could have sworn you were writing this post for me! I am the same way...some call me OCD or DERANGED or just CRAZY!!!! the need to have an accomplishment is very strong around here...and I admit...I do not know how to relax!
    I also admit that keeping myself busy helps me keep my mind off some of the less pleasant aspects of my life as of late...this is a great way to get things done and keep sane!
    I will link up when I can..today I am doing my laundry room clean up...that room is a dust bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL!!! I love lists too. I agree that the most fun days are fun and productive!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nan,
    I don't know why that first link went up. You can delete it if you want. I don't know if it's my computer or what but I've been having problems viewing some of your blog on my desktop computer but I can see it on my laptop. ARRRGGGH!lol

    ReplyDelete
  21. You may have just inspired me to get some work done in my house that has been screaming to be done and I have been ignoring...don't know whether to fuss or thank you... :D

    I guess I'll straighten the living room today, since it's the first thing you see when you walk in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  22. hey....I don't have to show photos of each thing I do ...do I? I do a lot of reading....and ....and....I took a speed reading course when I was in school....lol...surprised? lol
    my favorite books are by Dean Koontz....he is a little scary...but they are a good read for the imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh dear, thank you for fixing my link!! And I just love the idea of a journal to keep track of all the little things you notice God doing throughout the day!!! LOVE it!! Thank you so much for sharing that with me!

    ReplyDelete
  24. okay....the post is ready to go for next monday...please remind me to link up!!! I hope I can remember to do this for the rest of the rooms...lets just start with this one and see....oh...I am already done the list too...so it is a double whammy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Never saw MR. Linky...late today...linked to you even though I'm not singing today!

    http://nagle5.blogspot.com/2009/06/monday-musings-from-troubled-mind.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. it's goin up tonight at midnight my time...(2 hours from now!) woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!