Monday, May 11, 2009

MAKING YOUR HOME SING MONDAY: JUGGLING AND DROPPING THE BALL

Making your home sing Mondays


Welcome to the "Making Your Home Sing Monday" meme.

Sometimes you're just to tired to make your home "sing." Sometimes, your life can get super busy and you can be pulled in several directions at once. You can't do everything. Something has to give.

That is one of the big frustrations of being a mom. How do you do it all? How do you manage it all? Where is the balance? What are your priorities?

Since my mom was ill and hospitalized I have been back and forth alot to visit her. The phone rings off the hook it seems, and there are things that need looked after. Not only that, but I still have to homeschool my youngest and I have had other outside responsiblities that I've needed to help with as well.

Welcome to the life of a mom. There is always something that needs doing. Someone or something that needs attention. Something that needs cleaning. Something that needs washing. Responsibilities inside and outside the home to look after.

Sometimes you can make choices to stay home and not go anywhere. That makes it easier to keep up with your responsibilities at home. But sometimes, you just can't do that. There are places you need to be (like visiting someone who is ill), or things you need to help with or whatever.

Sometimes, what makes my house sing is to let some things go for a time, if I need to. You will be thrilled to know that as I write this, I have discovered that I washed a load of laundry in the washer and totally forgot about it. It smells like it too! I have been pretty much in and out for the last couple of days so I totally dropped the ball on that one.

Frankly, I am o.k. with it. You can only juggle all the balls for so long. Eventually, you'll drop one. Sometimes, the way to make your house sing is to just accept that sometimes there are better choices to be made. Given a choice between visiting my mom and mopping my floor, I will choose my mom. Giving a choice between enjoying some time with my sons or windexing the mirrors, I will choose my kids.

That doesn't mean that the housework never gets done. We don't want to use our responsibilities as an excuse to not care for our home or family at all. Everyone is busy, there is always someone busier than you, and there is always someone who gets more done than you do, no matter how busy they are. It just seems to be that way sometimes.

So it doesn't mean I'm not going to ever do the housework. It just means that during busy times or times of stress, I am choosing to lower my expectations and just chill!
Dishes need to be done, meals need to get cooked, laundry needs to be processed. But if the floor doesn't get mopped, noone is going to experience any great degree of suffering over it (at least, I hope not, lol!). It'll get done eventually.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a stinky load of clothes to rewash and a sink full of dirty dishes to get to, and please whatever you do, don't open any doors.....

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! As always, please don't forget to link to this post. Also, please don't forgot to leave me a comment!

18 comments:

  1. Oh, yes...I have some floors to mop! {and don't let me forget the load in the washer right now!} Why do we feel like we have to juggle more than two balls? :)

    I think I let some of those drop a long time ago...at least it looks like it around here! LOL! I was able to help a friend out on Friday and watch her two little ones, but it sure put me behind...but how great it is to be able to call on a friend in a situation and not worry about it! I felt great to help her out...the dirty dishes didn't mind if they had to wait...ha ha! Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, i was never good at juggling...& I have dropped every single ball handed to me this week. Wow. Can I just say I am so glad it has come to an end. So weeks are just like that. I am praying that this week is much more calm & productive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I have so left the laundry in the washer before...and it does stink! I promise myself it won't happen again--but it has and it does every now and then ^_^

    Thanks so much for this post--I get a little carried away with my to-do list sometimes and I really just have to let it go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I'm glad I came over here today before I wrote my post. I was about to write about the exact same topic! I've had a week like that too, as you know if you've been reading over at my blog.

    Sometimes, as hard as we try, weeks like this just happen. I guess it's part of the big plan. Maybe we wouldn't appreciate the weeks when things just click right along if we didn't have weeks like this where absolutely nothing seems to get done (even if it seems to us like we're working daylight to dark)

    This week will be better though. I just know it! Now excuse me while I go and try to think of another topic to write about! lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's great about dropping the ball (which I've done many a time), is that we can catch it and start over again!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. forgetting the clothes in the washer is a classic, who hasn´t done that at least once... I have done it more than once... I´ll admit it. And forgetting there are clothes in the drier and then going bananas trying to figure out where all the missing clothes is... heheheh

    I have been dropping way to many balls lately, really need to pick them up and get going..... I guess I better do that.... I am under conviction :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm right there with you Nan. Right now, my parents need me and the rest will just have to "do" until I have more time here at home. Sigh...

    The bad thing is, people POP BY HERE ALL OF THE TIME! Nobody calls, they just show up. Waaaaaaaaaaa.

    Oh well, welcome to my house. Just ignore the cluttered countertops and the stacks of paper everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like most days I juggle and drop everything!! It's hard and I get down a lot but my sweet husband always encourages me that I am doing a good job!

    Why do we insist on putting so much pressure on ourselves? I hate that!

    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to declutter, we went camping and I have stuff to put away,give,donate,burn!!LOL, hey I had never thought about just burning the junk,huh...

    ReplyDelete
  10. So true! Floors can wait as sometimes we need to do other things like spending time with our friends and family. Great post today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the reminder. I needed to remember that it doesn't all have to happen now. That priorities change from moment to moment and sometimes things just have to wait. I was feeling the blues because I have been so incapacitated by the Poison Ivy I have been getting nothing real accomplished. I think I'll take a moment to recognize that it isn't the end of the world. Oh and I leave wet laundry in the machine at least once a week. It is always the thing that suffers when multi-tasking. Still my least favorite chore of all times. I'd rather clean the toilette. Any way Thanks again, I needed that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I couldn't have said it better myself :)

    Hope you had a great Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this! I do a lot of juggling. I am so thankful for a Hubby that sometimes picks up what I drop, but I don´t like that to happen too much. ;) He says he likes to, so that we can spend time together. But I want to be careful not to use that as an excuse.
    Well, Praying for you as you finish out the school year. We will finish one way or the other, making our homes sing doin it! Lord willing!
    oh, I do have Shepherding a Child´s heart and I have read most of it. need to read it over again.
    Thanks for mentioning it again. It´s always good to go back over things and re evaluate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post is right up my alley.... I get so stressed when I constantly think of my list of things to do...so today I got the idea to work on the list and pray and pray and pray. My mom is not well, I read about Kyndall and just prayed as I folded laundry and I felt the peace of God. The peace extended right into all the feelings of inadequacy I feel because my house is not spit and polished or the bills need attention. So now I am catching up on some blog reading and just got home from a 2 mile walk with a friend. Sometimes we have to put our mental health on the list. Great Post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I totally forgot to make my home SING today!! I was really busy and got a lot done though. You are being so kind by taking care of your mother! God bless you. There are more things than a clean home and well -tended garden! My parents are healthy and my life is calm right now, and I feel that gardening is in HIS will for me, but this is only my second year gardening. I am not an expert by any means.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a "real" post. Thank you. It is almost 10 and I am just now cleaning my kitchen... from the whole day. I let it slide so I could work on my garage. Sometimes if you don't let the routine tasks slide just a bit, it is impossible to find time to tackle big projects (or reach out to a loved one).
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Balance is very difficult for me to maintain way too often. Even harder during times of stress. It is nice to know that even you :) struggle with this at times of stress. Thanks for the reminder that when the stress is lightening to return to taking better care of my home and family. Sometimes just making it through the day becomes a habit - one that has gotten a good kick in the pants at my home lately. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!