Monday, April 13, 2009

MAKING YOUR HOME SING MONDAY: TIME

Making your home sing Mondays


Welcome to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme!

Last week I blogged that I was taking some time off, which I did. I did miss talking with you and reading your blogs. So hopefully all is well with everybody. Thank you for your lovely comments, by the way.

There are two things I know. I know that we cannot make our homes sing if we are never in them. I also know that we cannot make our homes sing if we're always on the computer, watching t.v., reading a book, twittering, texting, running around with our friends, or whatever else is available out there.

Sometimes, stay at home moms really like to get out of the house. Alot. And we can fill our weeks with endless trips to McDonalds (woohoo!), Costco (another woohooo!), the library, shopping, the park (not so much), the mall (rarely), running errands, etc. Some things need doing that day, some don't.

When my kids were little, we were gone alot. Sports, church activities, friend play days, McDonalds trips to meet friends, homeschool co-op, parks, the zoo, etc. It always seemed more fun to go off and do something than to stay home and manage my home. Hanging out at the park was much more fun than mopping the floor!

The problem is that if this happens alot, then things aren't getting done around here. I find the same situation with blogging. It can take a little time, or a lot of time. It just depends on how you use it.

Time. I don't have time to deal with time. It takes to much time (lol!).

This week I discovered I can do twitter on my computer (you can see my updates on my left sidebar). It's also just one more thing to take up my time, lol! Blogging takes time, surfing the net takes time, watching t.v. takes time, reading takes time, cooking takes time, cleaning takes time, reading my Bible takes time, spending time with my family takes time.

We all have the same amount of 24 hours available in our day. Some people do great with time management, some not so great. Some people get more things done than others. But we all have the same amount of time available to us.

Time is a choice. We always have time to do something, don't you think? Always. But it's just that we are choosing to spend our time doing other things. If I want to do one thing, I have to spend less time doing something else. It all comes down to how we choose to spend our time.

So this week I am going to take a look at my schedule/priorities and see how I am choosing to spend my time, so that I can manage my days better. I cannot regain the time once it's spent, and I wish to spend it wisely.

I may not be blogging every day, or maybe my posts will be shorter (won't you be thrilled!), I don't really know. But I do know that evaluating how I am spending my time is an awesome way to make my home sing today!

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! As always, please don't forget to leave me a comment!



12 comments:

  1. I am getting into the same conclussion that you have.

    I spend too much time doing the things that are not important to me, and is taking a lot off the time I can spend with the things that are really important. Why I wonder.

    I am wanting to schedule my every minute for a week and see how that works. I am sure if I do that, I am going to get a lot more done and a lot less being waste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you reading my mind? LOL! I've always struggled with time management! I can get distracted so easily and do alot of 'nothing' when I was on my way to do something! thanks for sharing. It would be interesting to see what I'm really doing and what needs to be done by writing them down! Great idea! {Now where did I put my list! ha ha!}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I get to be first this week :o) Very exciting!

    I know what you mean my friend! I have actually been spending a lot less time blogging for this reason. Like you, I am trying to find that balance. May we encourage one another onward in that challenge! Take care my sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement! I need to start off my week with a reminder of how important my home and family is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is totally on my heart, too! This is my first time joining in. Thank you for this!
    www.christinnjon.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Time is precious and I do try not to waste minutes...that is one reason once I started blogging I gave up TV (except for 1 hour a week)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true! I'm not going to take the time to leave a long comment :), but I love your suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree 100%. I have had to look at my time management also! I love blogging and keeping up with everyone but it can def. take over! I appreciate your honesty and encouragement. I look forward to your future posts!!! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this. I have really been struggling lately with my time management. I long to be the wife and mother God called me to be, but sometimes I put myself first, which isn't right. Thanks again for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Moms, what a terrific post. I know I've spent a lot of energy trying to set things up in a way that works for our family and the only thing I'd add is that you need to do what works for YOU not what someone else is doing. For example, I'm not a morning person, so I don't schedule myself to "get up early and get stuff done" because it never happens and I feel terrible about it. As for blogging, I've finally figured out a way that works for me...I think about some posts during the day and type them all up at about 9:00 p.m. and schedule them. Then I shut off the computer so I won't be tempted during the day...for me, it is a win-win...oh, yeah, and I just said "no" to twitter...I would be a junkie, I just know it, so I didn't even start. Anyway, those were my solutions after some serious trial and error. Good luck finding your own. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm cleaning up after having visitors for the holiday weekend.

    I should probably do a little re-evaluating of how I spend my time as well, but then I might get a little overwhelmed and who wants that? ; )

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm trying to start making up my blogs for the majority of the week in one day that way I can have the rest of the week off. :D I've scheduled the majority of mine for this week already. I hope it works.

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!