Sunday, April 26, 2009

MAKING YOUR HOME SING MONDAY: EMOTIONS

Making your home sing Mondays




Welcome to the "Making Your Home Sing Monday" meme!

There are certain times when it is hard to be a woman. You know what I mean. It's when you feel cranky and crabby (is that the same thing?) and you just don't feel like being "nice." You want to rip somebody's head off, and then two seconds later you want to dissolve into a little puddle of tears on the floor.

It's a roller coaster of emotions. And so many times, those emotions drive our behavior.

Imagine the confusion of the child who comes up to mom with a simple request, expecting to be treated sweetly and lovingly, and mom flares at him. Maybe another time it's for forgetting to take his shoes off, or for interupting her on the phone, or for any number of transgressions.

Imagine the hubby or co-worker or friend who has to tread very carefully, for fear of "setting" her off.

What can seem like a minor irritant on some days can seem like huge issues on other days. Ah the joys of being a woman. What can cause us to simply roll our eyes one day can turn us into a raving ball of hormones on another day. I am sure my own children have thought I was going around the bend a time or two.

We can blame hormones all we want, but in all honesty, we have to look at how we behave in front of others. If I can control my behavior when I'm out at a store, at church, hanging with friends, or (for some) at work during times like this, then shouldn't I be able to control it at home as well?

If I can treat others fairly and kindly, when all I want to do is curl up into a little ball and howl at the moon....oooops, sorry, I guess I've been watching to much t.v.....anyway, if I can respond kindly to others out in public, then I ought to be able to control my behavior and be just as kind at home.

I no longer have the excuse of "hormones" because I've proven that I can control myself in public. I can no longer use the excuse of hormones as a reason to be ugly and wrong my family with my words or my actions.

Why do we "let loose" at home? Because we can. Because we're tired of "holding it together." Because we really don't care what they think about us. They are family and we know they love us, absolutely. We are "safe" with them.

But we're also not overly worried about what they're thinking. If we were, we wouldn't be crabbing at everybody. We wouldn't be making everbody feel like they have to walk on eggshells, not sure who's coming out...normal mom or "mad" mom. Finally, because we're human and we're not perfect.

Maybe it's just me that get like this. I don't know. I'd like to think I'm not alone but you never know.

Today I can make my home sing by remembering that my emotions don't have to drive my behavior. Today I can put a smile on my face and "fake" it until I "make" it. Today I can pray, leave my emotions in the Lord's hands, and remember from Whom I draw my strength!

I don't have to live out of my emotions today, and I can praise Him and be thankful for the things I have to do, and for the family that I do it for. So if you see somebody today with a silly smile on their face, hopefully that will be me!

What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! As always, please don't forget to leave me a comment!

17 comments:

  1. I have been struggling with this a lot lately! In fact, I was talking with a gal yesterday about this very thing! I feel like it's a PMS thing with me. Everything bugs me, I pick a fight with my husband, the house seems like such a mess, etc. I just feel so irritated. I hate that I get this way. You're right though, we really should try to control our emotions with our family too. They are the ones we love the most yet we often times treat them the worst! Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hee hee! Oh, did you see me the other day....LOL!

    Yes, my husband has a nickname for my 'other' personality when these times come up...meet Scary! Haa haa! yes, one minute I'm Carrie, the next I'm Scary! It at least can break the ice sometimes and make me smile! What a hard thing to control, but so true that we can!!! Happy monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree completely. We seem to take out our worst behavior on the ones we care about the most. Definitely not acceptable. They're commitment to us seems to give us the freedom to behave inappropriately. Having said that, not needing to pretend all the time is the joy of living with people who love you for who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh Amen! I am with you on this one! I spoke last week on having joy and I continue to work on it this week!! Keep at it, it takes work, but it's worth it! :)
    www.christinnjon.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! It's so hard sometimes!! Can I just be a logical man.. once in a while, Lord?

    ReplyDelete
  6. My friend, you are not alone!! What a great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for this post. This is where I fail most often. So this post was soooooooo for me.
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love your posts!! I know I've told you this before, but they always, always speak to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nancy Lee DeMoss has a great chapter in her book "Lies Every Woman Believes and Truth That Set Them Free". She says that woman make excuses all of the time about how we can't help the way we are acting b/c of hormones or emotions. I know I have a million times. But it is not true. It may seem harder at times but we always have a choice! I choose a lot of times to allow my emotions to carry me and yell at my kids or be annoyed with my husband and say "I deserve more than this and I am in a bad mood! I can act any way I want too. It's only once a month". But usually if I allow myself to slip and act emotionally, its just easier to act out the next time when I really have no excuse!! It can become habit! I would love for my habit to be joy and not grumpiness!! Thanks for sharing! You are so not alone!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just who do you think you are! I NEVER let my emotions get away from me. He, He, I am just joking. It is so right that we can be so nice to others and then let out our frustrations with our family. I see my kids picking up on my bad habits,too. Ouch! I hate anything Oprah but that one show with Miah Angelo (?) where she asked if your eyes light up when your kids enter a room has stuck with me. I think too many times I am thinking they are interupting me or have a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, this is such a great point. We always say we hurt the ones we love the most, but that is such a contradiction in itself. Because we love them so much we should control ourselves the most. We can hurt our kids so much and they can carry so much on into their lives. MAking a point to be the best we can be for them is the best way to make our home sing, and it should be our priority. I am enjoying your monday post (the other also) so much. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post my friend! I am realizing this one myself and trying to do better. Thank you for the reminder to keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this! It´s so true and we as moms need to give those hormones to God and the actions we tend to blame on hormones. I never like using them as an excuse but I must recognize my struggle and ask God for help and strength.
    God does answer and gives us the calm we need. We just need to realize when it´s happening.
    I had a tough week with this. a couple of my posts were a result.
    God can get us through these moments!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just what I needed to read today ^_^ I have a choice not to be ruled by my emotions (or hormones) and sometimes it's a difficult choice to make--especially when I haven't had my time in the Word! Thank you for posting this and for addressing something we all deal with and can learn how to overcome through the grace of Jesus!

    I love the name of your meme: Making Your Home Sing! I can't wait to link up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used to get dressed up like I was going to work. I don't remember how it happened that I stopped. I should start doing this again. My whole attitude changed when I did.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sometimes I feel snappy at my son, and I don't want to be that way. I don't want him to grow up remembering me always being short with him. Let's face it, kids tend to remember the negative things more than the positive sometimes. Here is an example of why and how I get frustrated.

    Son: I just spilled red juice on my shirt.

    Me: Go rinse it under cold water right away.

    Son: Huh?

    Me: Go rinse it under cold water right away.

    Son: My shirt?

    Me: YES!!!!!

    So while I understand why I get frustrated when this occurs quite often in my home, I still do not want to sound exasperated all the time. I appreciate your reminder of how we can keep ourselves in check out in public! I think all to often we get too familiar with the people in our own homes and do not treat them with the same courtesy as we treat others.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh! You got my toes again. I have such a hard time with this. Why do I have to show my worst emotions to family? Ugh! These are ones I live with day in and day out. Why would I want them to be scared or angry at me for flying off the handle?

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!