Tuesday, March 24, 2009

QUICK AND EASY COFFEE CAKE RECIPE


"We Are That Family" is hosting Works-For-Me-Wednesday again!

I suppose this is a rather lame post, but honestly, it's a simple, yummy recipe (if you like coffee cake). When I was a child my mom used to make coffee cake and she used to ask me if I wanted some. I always said "No!" with a grimace on my face. As I got older my mom still continued to make coffee cake and offer me some. I still continued to say "No!" with every fiber of my being.

One day my mom commented "I just don't understand why you won't eat coffee cake. It's so good!" and I replied "Mom, you know I don't like coffee so why would I a cake made out of it?"
After she finished laughing my mom explained to me that the coffee cake did not have any coffee in it. It was just called that because it was a snack-like cake that some people liked to serve with coffee. Seriously, who knew?
Well, after that I tried it and I loved it. Still do in fact. So here's a recipe for coffee cake that is quick and easy and yummy (well, I like it anyway). For those of you who, like me, don't like the taste of coffee you'll be happy to know that there is no coffee in it!
Mix together in a bowl:
  • Two eggs

  • 1 and 1/2 cups of sugar

  • 1 and 1/2 cups of milk

  • 3 cups of flour

  • 4 teaspoons of baking powder

  • A "pinch" of salt
After you've mixed it all together beat in 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Pour it into a 9x13 baking pan. Then sprinkle generously with brown sugar, cinnamon and bits of butter. Bake at 350 for twenty minutes and enjoy!

If you don't want to miss any blog posts, you can follow me or subscribe in your reader or by email.  You   can also find me here on facebook as well!  I'd love to connect with you!

Be sure and come back Monday and link up to the Making Your Home Sing Monday meme!

This recipe is so easy to make that it works for me! Please go here to check out more Works-For-Me-Wednesday tips and ideas!

20 comments:

  1. Sounds super yummy! I can't wait to try this! My 4 yo son loves to bake with me. We will have to make this recipe over the weekend. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Sounds so good and easy too!! I'll have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That explains why I keep finding recipes for coffee cake on zaar with no coffee in it. In Ireland we do add coffee to the recipe, although the coffeeless(?) versions are lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I will give this one a try! sounds really easy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure that would be YUMMY! I can't try it, but it sure would be good. Sniff, sniff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! I am giving this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love coffee cake!

    Oh the tortilla´s that S.Americans make are the flour tortillas. flat and for stuffing. Spanish tortillas are omelets. Many people think that Spanish food is Mexican or S. American. Nothing like it! I will be posting more Spanish recipes in the future. They are yummy, easy and cultural! I love Spanish food, it´s rich and healthy! I love any kind of Ethnic food really.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the recipe! My hubby loves a good coffee cake!

    Blessings to you today! Sorry I've been lagging behind in blogland...I'm trying to get caught up. I've missed ya!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quick, easy and yummy is a keeper in my book! Thanks for sharing! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love coffeee cake. YUM! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never tried to make coffee cake! I think I should! Today we are going to try making cinnamon rolls. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are having a luncheon after church Sunday, so I am going to give this recipe a try. It sounds great!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds yummy! Hubby loves coffee cake. So I might have to try it...for his sake ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do love coffee cake. I'll have to try this recipe sometime very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love coffee cake too :) My kids tried to tell their stepmom that coffee cake doesn't have coffee in it because she wouldn't let them have any (we're LDS and don't drink coffee). She didn't believe them. I mean hello... with me as a mom I think they'd know... LOL I'm baking all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm making this TONIGHT! I'll definitely let you know how I do...thanks for sharing such a quick and easy recipe (this week's been crazy, I needed easy!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I forgot to add...look at you, with your 204 followers!

    It's because you're so sweet and funny, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this easy recipe but my baking time is about 15 minutes longer, closer to 35 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm making this recipe for a second time, this time for a friend who thought the same thing that coffee cake was made with coffee! I love this easy recipe but I have to bake it about 35 minutes, 15 minutes more than the recipe says.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Missy Lynn, thanks for your comment. I think I'll have to make this again and pay attention to the baking time. My old oven burned hotter and I have a newer one now so I'll bet the cooking time is longer too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!

So I'd still love to hear from you! Just don't type out a link to share! ;)