Sunday, March 29, 2009

MAKING YOUR HOME SING MONDAY: MANAGING OUR HOMES




Welcome to the "Making Your Home Sing Monday" meme!

I remember working at my job before I had my children. For the most part I was pretty productive and got lots done. I kept my mind and my thoughts focused on my job. I was there to do my job and I did it. I didn't begin working at my job and then get distracted for hours (or even half hours) by reading a book, surfing the net, watching t.v., chatting on the phone, or seeing what was in the fridge.

If somebody came up and asked a question, I didn't frown or raise my voice at them. I didn't sigh. I didn't burst into tears of frustration, sobbing "Why me? Why me?" I didn't say "Why are you interupting me? Can't you see I'm busy?" I didn't say "What? Again? How many times do I have to tell you the answer? I can't believe you're asking me again!"

This is not to say I was the perfect employee. I'm human and not perfect. I did not, however, take everything personally. If somebody didn't get something, it did not lead me to tears of frustration or anger. I just looked upon it as part of my job to train them. Again and again if necessary. (Although there was this one guy.....never mind.)

I did not drag myself to work looking as if I just got out of bed, unwashed and uncombed. I did not wear pajamas, slippers or a bathrobe all day. I dressed nicely out of respect for my company and out of respect for myself. I dressed for the job.

I washed and combed my hair and took care of myself. I had yet to have the "mom" hair that I posted about on Saturday.

If someone wasn't around to watch me, that did not mean I slacked off on the job. Integrity is what you do when noone's around. And you do your job because you're paid to do it, regardless of who is watching. Right?

I did not show up late for work. Well, not very often and I usually had a good excuse each time, hehehe! I had a starting time and an ending time, and I stuck with it.

We are managers of our homes. How are we managing? Are we showing up late for work every day? Do our families have no idea what to expect of us? Are we dressing for the job of being a homemaker, or are we dressing for the job of going back to bed?

Are we taking care of ourselves and dressing and grooming out of respect for ourselves and those that have to look at us? Or are we dressing and grooming ourselves as if we just don't care? If someone looked at us, would they think we care about our appearance (ouch!)?

Are we managing to take care of our responsibilities and getting things done or is housework taking all day? Is it taking all day because we have to much to do or because we aren't managing our time well? Do we have an ending time, when we can just relax and say "enough" and enjoy our families?

Do we see every interuption as an opportunity to minister and serve our children/families or as an interuption of our fun? Are we sobbing tears of frustration and anger because we keep having to repeat ourselves if they're just not "getting" it?

Are you a professional homemaker or are you just a temporary one? Are you invested in the job because you see long-term benefits or do you act as if you just "filling in" for someone?

I know that so often, it is easy for me to get distracted by the fun and not get my work done. After all, there is noone here to watch me and keep track of what I'm doing. Sometimes it is easy for me to get discouraged or frustrated by someone not "getting" it and having to repeat myself.

Today I want to remember that I am a "professional." I want to apply the same diligence to my job at home as I did when I was working away from home. I want to remember that when I serve my family, I am serving the Lord. I want to serve with joy!


What are you doing or going to do today to make your home sing? Please go here for instructions and/or ideas and come back here to link up to join us today! As always, please don't forget to leave me a comment!





26 comments:

  1. Hi!! Yes..that was me that wanted to participate for tomorrow!!

    Wow..this post was really one of your best!! I wish I could pick your brain over coffee or lunch!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alicia, you are so sweet! Feel free to email me at any time at momstheword2008@hotmail.com!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really great! I know that lately I have fallen into the habit of rolling out of bed and starting in with my cleaning and before I know it, it's dinner time and I am still in my Pj's with no shower! Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post. How thought provoking......lovely.
    My house sings because my heart sings :)
    Thank you for brightening my day momstheword....

    Steady On
    Reggie Girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great post. So much to think about. I realize that I do need better time managment and more patience. Thank you so much for speaking truth! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OUCH is right. I hate it when you strike a nerve...but in a good way. Thank you so much for always trying to make me a better person, wife and mother. I am sooooooooo glad our paths crossed via the blogging world. You are a dear friend!
    Hugs,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mimi, I hate it too because I'm saying what I need to hear, lol! Thank you for your sweet words! You are a dear friend too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just stumbled upon your blog last week and really enjoy it. I love this post, too. I don't have a problem with the getting dressed part, but I do fight the internet all day long. I am honestly thinking of getting rid of my computer and just keeping our laptop, which my husband takes to work everyday. Thanks for the pep talk!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW I NEEDED THAT!!!! My Making My Home Sing post is about how God used your's in my heart! Thank you so much! You are always so sweet and encouraging. What a blessing you are. :o) Thanks for using the gifts God has given you to bless us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...I come back after a couple weeks off and we're STILL on the same wavelength! lol

    Great post...keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, this was a good post. I do treat it like a JOB also. I try to do my hair and makeup and put shoes on as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Girl, you are amazing! You know what to say, and when to say it. You speak to me.

    Thanks for this post! This is area I've really been working hard in. Never in my life would I have compared it to my "outside of the home" job.

    Thanks a TON! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. OOOUUUCCCCHHHH!!!! Oh, my friend you shot me...right here...square between the eyes. Boy did I need this this morning as I sit at my computer in my robe--not with mom hair, noooo..mine's stickcing straight up. Looks like I got a good fright when I saw myself this morning!!
    The kitchen island is piled up as is the dining room table (this always happens on the weekends).
    I love your honesty though. You are a real blessing to me.
    Now, think I'm going to pretty myself up and get busy!
    Love ya bunches!!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ouch! But what a great post! Definitely something to think about and work harder at. May everything we do be done as unto the Lord. Thank you for this great reminder today! May you have a lovely Monday my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ouch! That was my toes! LOL! I admit that I do stay in pjs for half the morning but I am getting things done the majority of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! FANTASTIC post and such a great reminder. I do tend to forget about myself so much because I figure no one will care how i look (well, maybe my hubby...LOL)

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, this post was exactly what I have been dealing with. I have become very convicted of many of these same things.

    It is nice to know I am not alone...wonderful post!

    JoyceMarie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi! This is a wonderful post! Lots of good practical advice. Thanks for encouraging us to be professionals.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for this post! I've been thinking about this for the last few weeks...and realizing how I need to improve. Thanks for even more of a reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for the reminder!! I hope this fits the criteria. I can't wait to be involved in future ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for your lovely comment. It is very hard when your parents are sick...I totally agree. You go through life thinking you have plenty of time before that happens, and then when it hits you between the eyes, it is hard to come back from that. I guess I spent all of my energy building up my mom and helping her that when it came time to do my stuff...I just did it. My dad passed away 2 years ago in September...I am fortunate that my mom is very independent and active. It was so hard watching them both have to go through that sickness...but I know my dad is in Heaven and that we'll all be together again...and I am glad I am finally coming up for air.

    Blessings,
    JoyceMarie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such true thoughts that we all need to be reminded of. Time management, hmmm ... It's all about organization, isn't it? Now I just need to organize me a weekend off...

    ReplyDelete
  23. The longer I am home caring for my house the more invested I become in it. The better a job I want to do. I still have trouble motivating myself, but when I put it in the perspective of as being my job, my part of the bargain I've made with my husband. I don't have kids, so the patience with children is something that I can not relate to, but the idea of performing your duties with pride and integrity keep me trying to do my very best.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Years ago I read about a woman who said that we had all forgotten that keeping the home was our job...we were going about it as if it were unimportant rather than recognizing that we were managing complex organizations. Your post was awesome...I needed the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i will join you monday meme soon :)

    by the way, i have an award for you at http://www.mommyjourney.com/2009/04/i-love-your-blog-award.html

    i really love your site..

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just want to say that I LOOOVED this post. I read it on Monday but didn't comment and it has been with me ever since. Thank you for these convicting words - I really needed them.

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!