Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A WOMAN AND HER HAIR STYLIST

I have a "perky" new hairstyle which I just love!

There was a time when going to the hairdresser (sorry, I don't know what they're called now) was a scary experience for me. It rated right up there with going to the dentist on the nerve factor scale. (My humble apologies to any dentists out there)

I always was nervous about getting a haircut those first few times with a new person. Once you cut that hair you can't get it back. O.k., nowadays you can buy hair extensions but you couldn't then. Besides, even if they'd had them I doubt if I could have afforded them.

Except for a person or two who had their own idea of how my hair should be cut, I didn't have horrible experiences. Still, I trembled every time I had to go. "What if she cuts it to short this time?" or "What if I look awful?" or "What if she does something different and I don't like it?"

Changing hairdressers was even worse. You either had to quit going to the shop entirely or feel guilty every time you ran into "her" on your way to the new "her."

I would not want to be a hairstylist. For one thing, I have no talent for it and if you saw my hair you'd know it. This is not a slam on who cuts my hair. I am just not so great at styling it afterwards. For another thing, people are very picky about their hair.

See? This is what a hairstylist has to put up with. What a terrifying thing to cut someone's hair, knowing that you can either make them very happy or very mad or very sad. To much pressure.

That's why I am very thankful for my friend who cuts my hair. She is a very brave woman.

14 comments:

  1. LOL, that's so true what you said about feeling guilty if you ran into your hairdresser again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL ... I'm with you! I have been to the same person since the early 90s. But let me tell you -- she is a level FIVE at Mitchell's hairstyling and that means she really PUTS IT TO ME in the wallet! Or should I say, "TAKES IT FROM MY WALLET." She works hard for her money, but also takes my husband's hard earned money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny you should post about this...I'm sitting here debating on keeping my hair appointment today or not. I REALLY need it cut but I hate to spend the extra money right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finding a hair stylist that can cut your hair the way you want it cut and look good is hard to find. I hate it because it seems like everytime I find one, the military moves us. Ugh! :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you! I finally found a hairstylist who consistently cuts my hair the way I like it. Before that, I never knew what I would end up looking like!

    I'm capable of styling my hair nicely when I need to, but most of the time I just can't be bothered with it. So I really hate when they try to talk me into getting some trendy style that will require a huge amount of maintenance. I'm a low maintenance kind of girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am right there with you. My husbands cousin has been cutting my hair for the last few years giving me a very trendy cut I love, but the thought of having to find someone else brings tremendous fear to my heart. GOD BLESS all hairdressers out there!!
    andrea
    http://andrealuvsallgodscreatures.blogspot.com
    http://arise2write.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beth: Yes, I used to go to an expensive one before the kids came. Then I went to a cheaper place where it seemed like I never got the same person twice. If my friend (who cuts my hair) moves, I'm moving with her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad you are happy with your new hairstyle! We were out of town this weekend and a friend asked me if I was letting my hair grow. I told her that I can't decide what I am doing with my hair...and it just keeps growing while I think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL...one thing I've learned aboout hair over the years: IT ALWAYS GROWS BACK. That makes the experience less frightening for me. I called my hairdresser yesterday to see if she could squeeze me in before we have family pictures done this week. Her only time slot is right before picture time. I'm trusting her with my hair for a picture that will last forever! Talk about FEAR!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the same issues with hair. I have anxiety with getting my hair cut. I should take a valume. I would rather go to the dentist or the gyno.

    Each time I find a hairdresser and like her, they either move or leave without leaving a forwarding! I hate that. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have had 3 different stylists in the same salon, because the first one kept cancelling my color appointments, and then the 2nd one was always late and the girl I have now, ROCKS...She is cheaper and is totally cool and nice and cuts it exactly how I want it...She cuts the kids hair too for a reasonable price. Can't beat that...but I do hide my head when i see they other two ladies in there cutting while I am sitting in Hilary's chair...I feel like i am cheating on them. LOL
    It is a touchy profession.
    You are cracking my up MOM.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this is funny...because it is soooo true!

    Hugs to you today!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too funny my friend! And too true! I have a hairdresser that I love now. But I did leave her for awhile. When I realized no one else could cut it as well for the same price, I went back. Now I am completely happy with her. She even cuts my son's hair & my husbands.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I cut my hair like once every 18 months and I don't think I've ever had the same person do it twice. It's scary! I'm hoping to find one I like soon and stick with them, and maybe get a few trims along the way this time! I have thick, wavy hair that has a mind of it's own. The last cut I got was actually really great, but she was a friend of a friend and now they're not talking anymore...so that would be weird. I guess with over a year in between cuts I've never felt loyalty to anyone!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!