Saturday, February 14, 2009

VALENTINE'S DAY

Happy Valentine's Day! Or Happy Single Awareness Day as some like to call it! When I was younger this day could be a great day or a not so great day. I remember getting valentines at school and wondering if I got as many as everybody else. Did the other kids like me? It almost seemed like a competition and I felt vulnerable.

When I was older (and before I got married) I finally realized that I did not have to feel vulnerable on Valentine's Day. I did not have to feel inadequate or unloved if I didn't have a boyfriend to send me a box of chocolates! I did not have to feel bad if I didn't have a date. I did not have to feel inferior if I didn't have an answer to the question "What are you doing on Valentine's Day?" I didn't need one special Valentine to prove to anyone that someone loved me or that I was "worthy."

I don't know everyone who reads this blog. I only sort of "know" those of you who comment regularly. So I don't know where everyone is at in their life.

I do know that today is just a holiday. It shouldn't have to be a day where someone has to feel bad because they don't have a valentine. It shouldn't have to be a day where someone feels vulnerable. It shouldn't have to be a day where someone has expectations that aren't met.

I am not trying to put a downer on everyone's day today. I am just thinking of people who may not think they have a "Valentine" (whether it's because they lost a loved one or they don't have one special person in their life right now or whatever). You know what, that's o.k.

It's just a day and if you want a valentine your valentine can be whoever you want it to be. It doesn't have to be a sweetheart. It can be your mom, dad, or just friends that you may want to show love to.

If you don't want a valentine then you don't have to have one. So take today and make it whatever you want it to be. And remember that the Lord loves you dearly and that He proved it on the cross. So you do have Someone Who loves you very much. Happy Valentine's Day my friends, how ever it finds you.

13 comments:

  1. happy hearts day!

    you have a new layout. its nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. by the way, i grabbed your button :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely right! I was never really worried by not having a valentine but I know a lot of my friends were obsessed with who would send them a card or slip them a note. One year we made a beautiful dinner for 5 or 6 of us girls everyone brought a special dish to contribute. We had a blast and enjoyed ourselves so much!

    I actually don't like valentines day much. Flowers are more special when someone thought of it themselves and not because of the date on the calendar, I'll take chocolates any day of the year and I hate being a "statistic" of valentines spending to be reported on the news. Thankfully it's not such a big thing here in Australia, it'll come but for now, it's still on a very small scale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Valentine's Day, Moms. Praying for you and your Mom today.

    Hugs to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so sweet...Happy Valentines day to you! We are taking the kids away for a few days...so it should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. LOVE the new look too by the way, I meant to tell you that the other day. It's very cute. This post was sweet, hopefully you have cheered up some single gals out there!!
    Happy Valentines Day. How is your mom today?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for your encouraging words!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We never have made a big deal out of Valentine's day, but some chocolate wouldn't hurt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. April, I was going to send you an email update. She is improving, praise the Lord, and she might be able to get out of the hospital soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I agree I don't think we have to have a holiday to have your husband, fiance', boyfriend, etc let you know they love you. I think everyday should be valentine's. Hope you had a great day! Thanks for stopping by my blog, I love your layout and I am going to grab your button. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We definitely need to be sensitive to those without a spouse on Valentines. Thankfully, God gave us the ultimate Valentine!

    Happy Valentine's Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My last Valentine's Day that I spent single, I decided to be my own! I took myself out to eat, bought myself an expensive bottle of perfume and I nice pair of boots. It was very liberating and is remembered as my favorite all time Valentine's prior to being married and having children.

    Now it's all about the kids. Hubby and I always try to make the day extra special for them.

    Hope you had a great one!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!