Saturday, February 21, 2009

SURVIVING BOYS AND BUGS AND GIVING YOUR HEART AWAY

I told you yesterday that we have carpenter ants. Isn't that gross? You would think that they wouldn't bother me. After all, I have two boys. Besides dogs we've had various pets over the years.......one snake that the boys caught, fish, one lizard, two gerbils, a frog, more walking sticks than anybody should be allowed to have, praying mantis' (and let me tell you, the only thing they were praying about was a way to escape their cage....).

I put my foot down on the pet tarantula...well, not literally. My husband said he had one as a kid and I said "Good for you" all the while questioning the sanity of his mother. He did say that when the tarantula got out of it's cage (got out of it's cage????) that his mom didn't go near his room until he found it again. Now there's a nightmare in the making.


Being the mom of two boys I've had my share of blood, sweat, tears, mud, cuts, bruises, stiches, mucus...you get the idea.


You would think the idea of a few stray ants crawling around my home wouldn't bug me (no pun intended). But it does. It bugs me. I am squeamish. I don't like bugs. I don't like blood. I'm not so crazy about vomit either.

There is a reason I am not a nurse, God bless them! Seriously, I don't know how they do it. I tried to be calm when my boys would come in with scratches, cuts, bruises and the occasional black eye. After all, "boys will be boys," right? Isn't that what they say?

I tried to be calm as they played hard and rode bikes and skateboards and climbed trees and fences and wrestled and played "dangerous" games like tag. I mean, come on, they could trip over something or run into a tree! Don't even get me started on football....

I tried to be calm as we drove to get stiches in the head or the finger. Or have an x-ray done to see if they broke something.

I tried to be calm when they were hanging out the second story window. I tried to be calm when they were crawling around on the roof helping put up Christmas lights or mowing the lawn (hey, that mower has sharp blades). I tried to be calm when the youngest got a concussion. I tried to be calm when the oldest one rode his bike down a steep hill and got all scratched up.

I tried to be calm as they took those first baby steps away from me, forever taking my heart with them. I tried to be calm when they were old enough to play outside by themselves. I tried to be calm as they finally were old enough to drive their bikes down the street by themselves.

I tried to be calm as the oldest one got his license and drove alone in the car for the first time. I tried to be calm the first time he took his younger brother with him. I tried to be even more calm as I watched my whole life drive away in that car. I tried to be calm as I remarked to my husband "There goes my heart."

It is just beginning to dawn on me where these strands of gray hair are coming from. I blame the boys.

15 comments:

  1. Ha. Bless you! I can't imagine two boys! Boys and girls are so different! But let me say, carpenter ants are nothing to sneeze at. They are practically spiders in my eyes because they look like they live off of steroids! They are HUGE. I can't stand them!

    I met carpenter ants when we built in the mountains. We had to get an exterminator to kill the little black devils. Ick! They were in our bathroom (opposite end of the house from the kitchen - thankfully).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom's a nurse and she still can't handle vomit. She's assisted in so many surgeries she can't count anymore, but anytime one of us got sick, that was my dad's job :) She also blames her gray hair on us girls. I'm sure it's for a little different reason than your boys, but that what kids do to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is something about a mother's love for her sons. I think it will break my heart when my baby boy goes to Kindergarten more than when the girls went. But all the same, when they all grow up and hit each next stage of their life it is bitter sweet...why can't they stay little?
    Hope the ants are gone and never return. WE have our own personal bug man. Gotta love him...he got rid of some mad ants in Actress's room when she was a baby. I freaked out too. I hate those little things.
    Sorry about the long comment:)
    Hope you still love me:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet post. I don't mind blood, but absolutely NO bugs, snakes, spiders...creepy things. eww.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Day 2 of the Where’s Wenda? Contest is here. Today, I am visiting all of the SITStas that commented on Hot Chocolate Caramel Mocha. That means you! Thanks so much for stopping by and for being a great SISta! -Wenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. With kids ranging in age from 22 to 6, I certainly know how you feel. I never thought my heart could ever grow that large.

    Thanks for stopping by and wishing me Happy Birthday, it really meant the world to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have 3 boys. It has been such a learning experience! I didn't have any brothers. I am just like you - I can't stand blood. I am definitely not a girly girl but I have had to acclimiate to the things boys get into. I was pregnant with my little girl when my oldest boy broke his arm. It was visibly broken and it wasn't a nice image. My husband took him to the ER. I gave the 2 younger boys popsicles and then I went and threw up!!!
    I don't look forward to the day when they find their heart's love. I am already praying for their future wives. I really want to have good relationships with them. Oh, another thing, having boys has made me more sensitive to my mother-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you on bugs-can't stand them! We had centipedes in our basement until we got a dehumidifier-gross-me-out! My husband and his twin brother had a pet alligator when they were young that someone had given to them that they kept in a kiddie pool in the basement. Another time: They were cold one winter's night in their bedroom and started a fire to keep warm and caught the bunkbeds on fire. Having all girls has sheltered me from so much boy stuff but we had other things to contend with. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could not have said it better myself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nope, can't stand bugs, blood or vomit. Nope, not me! I was so glad my husband was home when my son busted his forehead wide open & had to have 6 stitches. I know I would not have handled that one well on my own!

    I can't even think about my son growing up without getting teary eyed. I know they have to grow up. But my heart just cannot handle it right now. Maybe later it'll be easier...right...I hope :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had to stop reading at tarantula, b/c my skin crawls at the mere thought. :)

    Just stopping by from SITS to show some comment love. Hope you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ugh! I would faint if I heard about a spider especially like a tarantula being let out. I just got a shiver down my spine. Yikes!

    I get the shivers when they show me their teeth that are ready to come out - wiggling it. THey like to do that to me. LOL!

    My daughter unfortunately likes bugs, too. YUCK!!

    I cannot even imagine having to watch mine get their license which isn't too far for my daughter. The tears are going to flow.
    They grow up too quick!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. I don't know if I want to laugh or cry after reading your post. I have a 13 month old boy myself. And I'm preparing myself for that "rough and tumble" time. *gulp* :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh this was great! You and I are a lot alike! God bless the nurses!! And anyone who can stand boy pets! My poor son does not get away with any of those!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!