Saturday, February 7, 2009

MR. FRUGAL FIX-IT HIMSELF

My toilet has issues. Isn't that a great post starter? Don't you feel like you could have gone all day (and maybe all night) without hearing that?

Well, it's true. My toilet has felt like it's needed to spread the love a little. In fact, it was spreading the love a little to much. So my hubby fixed it and now it doesn't anymore.

I have to say that besides the fact that I love my husband for himself, I love the fact that he can fix things. He wasn't born that way either. Unlike one of my brothers who was born with a wrench in one hand and a hammer in the other.

My husband has fixed several things over the years of our marriage. He has fixed the toilet, tub, sink, broken toys, treadmill, dishwasher, washing machine, dryer and several cars, not to mention a few other things I probably forgot. This has saved us money many times.

I asked him how he's learned to do all these things and he just shrugged his shoulders and said "I don't know......you just learn as you go, I guess. They were mostly easy fixes." Wow. Inspirational words. Just gets you right there doesn't it? I may shed a tear.

I remember soon after we were married I was downstairs in the basement and it started raining indoors, right on my head. I was dismayed to learn that the rain was coming from the toilet upstairs. Fun.

So I headed to the phone to ask my parents who they used for a plumber and my husband said "What are you doing?" So I promply said that I was going to get the number of a good plumber. My sweet frugal hubby replied that there was no reason to call a plumber yet, that he would see if he could fix it himself. And he did.

That doesn't mean that we don't know when to call in for reinforcements when we need it. There have been things that have needed the skill of a professional, and we absolutely will call them when needed.

But there are many things that a person can fix themselves, and my husband does what he can. He needs to, because I've been known to break a thing or two in my day. Like when I broke the blender and the Magic Bullet both in the same day. Yeah, we're still wondering about that one.

8 comments:

  1. My husband is no mr. fixit...but between the two of us, we have saved us a little money over the years. It is funny what you can fix if you just tinker with it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband will fix any type of equipment OUTSIDE, but he prefers staying away from the inside duties. However, I must say that as he has aged, he will attempt to do more of the indoor repairs. We are so blessed to have husbands!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blender and the Magic Bullet?! LOL Not to mention the money saving part, but the fact of being able to fix things yourself that professionals usually do makes one feel pretty good too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you figure out that rocks don't go in the blender or the Magic Bullet? (laughing)...Superman IS Mr. Fixit and was born with a wrench in his hand, as was Valiant. Even Buttercup gets in on the play with tools gene. Charming, on the other hand, doesn't see the point...but he'll definitely be a learn as he goes kind of man...I have faith!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh..you gotta love a "fix it" man!!! My husband is totally that way, and I think my sons are taking after him!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a Mr Bodge-it. He'll give it a go but you gotta weigh up if he can actually make the problem more expensive for a professional after his repair attempt.

    I do the majority of the "I'm sure this is something we can do ourselves" jobs round here. It's not that hard. I found that replacement toilet floats have very detailed instructions on both removing the old and installing the new. YAY, I love good instructions! (I'm a nerd that way)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It definitely is a blessing to have a fix it man!! :D My husband has been able to fix several things around here. When he was little he took a 10 speed bike apart just to see how it worked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dad could fix anything...Tito, he jiggyrigs stuff and it works again but it usually has a twist tie or something holding it together. Tito can build stuff, a shed, a deck, turn a basement into a nice living space....it is always nice to save money.

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!