Monday, February 9, 2009

MAKING YOUR HOME SING MONDAY: GO TO BED ON TIME!

I hope you guys aren't bored with these Making Your Home Sing Monday! posts. I'm kind of having a little fun with it. For one thing, I think we could all use a little encouragement in making our homes a joyful place to be. I know I could. Also, it gives me something to post about on Mondays, hehehe!. If you are bored, please bear wth me. I'm sure I'll tired of it eventually........lol!

Have any of you ever fallen asleep while watching t.v. at night? Or while reading a book or listening to music? Or while putting your kids to bed (you know who you are, I'm just saying......). Is it because you've had to many late nights?

Have you ever struggled to stay awake the next day? Or struggled to get through your day with very little energy and very little sleep? Or snapped at somebody because you just didn't have the patience? Perhaps you were having trouble concentrating? Perhaps the day seems overwhelming and long?

Being tired doesn't just make it difficult to get through our day. I don't know about you but I can get a headache when I'm tired. Not only that but it can make me cranky and impatient. It can also cause me to oversleep and then I wake up already behind in my schedule. I also don't eat very well when I'm tired. I can find myself snacking and grabbing the wrong foods to give me "energy." Someday when I'm gone you can say about me "She was tired."

Sometimes we are tempted to stay up late to grab some "me" time. Oh come on, it can't be just me that does this. I know there is somebody out there who stayed up to late last night. I can't have been the only one (well, I hope I'm not the only one). 'Fess up! Noone will ever know.....except everyone who reads this blog and the comments, of course.

Don't ya just love that "me" time? The time when the house is quiet and you have it all to yourself? Wooohooo! Nobody wants your attention, nobody wants anything of you, it's just you and the t.v., or the book, or the computer, or the whatever. You can sit there and scarf down that chocolate donut and noone will ever know. Noone but you and your hips.

Sometimes it's not "me" time. Sometimes it's staying up late folding the laundry, or cleaning the kitchen, or straightening up the house or flip flopping the laundry. You have pushed yourself to the point of exhaustion, or perhaps got your "second wind" as my mom calls it. Then, all of a sudden you're really awake, and now you can't go to sleep.

Perhaps you're lying awake in bed and you can't sleep because you're busy planning what you're going to do the next day. All these thoughts are rolling around in your head, and you just can't stop thinking and planning long enough to relax and fall asleep, or perhaps you're afraid of forgetting something. (Hey, how about putting a pen and a paper next to your bed so you can write it down so you won't forget it?)

Whatever you've got going on, whether it's "me" time or madly cleaning the house or lying awake planning the next day, whatever it is......you need your rest!

If you were a surgeon you would, hopefully, get your rest if you had to perform surgery the next day. If you were a pilot hopefully you would be doing the same thing so that you can stay awake to fly. If you were a professional athlete hopefully you'd be getting your rest too for the big day!

No, perhaps someone's life isn't literally in your hands if you've stayed up to late the night before. But Mom, their precious little hearts are in your hands. Your kind words, your loving actions, your encouragement, all of that means so much to those you love. Even if you're not a mom, there is someone out there that you mean so much to.

So if you find yourself dragging through your day or snapping at those you love, give yourself a break and get plenty of rest that night! Go to bed on time!

17 comments:

  1. I'm leaving for the airport at 4:45 tomorrow morning. It's 8:30pm now, I'd best finish up and get to bed so my brain will work and my words will be sweet tomorrow. Thanks for the perfect reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello my dear! You might be interested in seeing who won my giveaway. Come on over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very guilty of staying up too late to get "me time," but then I'm such a crab the next day, and everyone suffers for it. I used to take one night a week, just for myself, but I've gotten away from it. My husband keeps pushing me to do it - I think he's tired of me being so cranky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you been around me lately? I think I answered yes to all your questions. LOL
    Great post...I will try and get some good rest tonight...after 24! The only show I watch:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it also helps to have a plan, so that you have a "reason" (besides the obvious ones) for getting to bed on time. My Monday dates with Superman are really helping us both start the week off right. Knowing you're leaving the house by 7:00 and will be back by 8:30 really gets your day started properly. Also, since Superman works outside the home, he leaves every day by 6:30 or 7:00 a.m. Going to bed at the same time (sleep disturbances not withstanding) helps to keep us on the same schedule and as close to the same rhythm as we can make it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a night owl just by nature...I have to force myself to go to bed early so I can wake up early in order for my home to sing. But once you get in the habit of going to bed at a good hour and waking up at a good hour ... good things happen in your home! Good post!

    I chose the layout 'grateful' and I'm sure I have just bothered Tara to pieces but I'm just clueless about how this whole thing works! lol

    I'm so excited I can't stand it though. Happy for you too! Hugs to you today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post was written for me. Every single day I think, "I am going to bed at good time tonight!" Every single night I get a burst of energy once the kids are in bed and I end up staying up late. Maybe I should read this post every night after I get everyone in bed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane Anne: I used to work on so many projects that I'd stay up way to late after the kids were asleep. I don't do that anymore but I still have some late nights.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a great post. You must have been speaking to me. I often stay up late just to finish one more thing, that so often leads to another. And it's so nice to be able to relax and not answer all those mommy and honey questions!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carmom: I agree, one thing does lead to another and you can lose track of time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post! Yes, I like to have that time. But I also need the sleep. It is a difficult balancing act. Thanks for the gentle reminder that we need to take care of ourselves in order to take care of our families.

    Take care my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I get so excited in the evenings just as everything is getting quiet- just like a second wind.

    I need to be consistent about my bed-time :) My family deserves it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is when I read a lot of my friend's posts -- when everyone is asleep. Even now, I can hardly hold my eyes open, but the house is quiet and I can't resist catching up.

    Yawn. ;o) You're right, we do need our rest.

    Love ya!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh goodness... this really hit home!! Taking your advice and heading to bed now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow!! What's that expression.."hitting the nail on the head?" Well, you totally did it w/ this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Since I get up at 5:30 every morning, I fade fast starting at 9:30 but try to make sure I'm in bed by 10. I function so much better on sleep. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, it's 12:45 AM. . . yes, I should be in bed. I have 2 littles (2yo & 9mo) who will be up early tomorrow morning. . . Even my "second wind" has come and gone by now!!!! Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!