Wednesday, February 18, 2009

HOW TO EAT AN ELEPHANT TODAY (A.K.A. FINISHING PROJECTS)

I've been hammering away at my family for years about the little minutes. If you spend 15 minutes a day doing something, and you do it for six days, at the end of that week you will have accumulated a total of 90 minutes work on that project.

Work for 30 minutes a day (for six days) and it will give you a total of three hours of work that week. Think about that. Three hours! Is there some project that needs doing around your home but you keep putting it off because it's to big and you don't have the time?

If you spend as little as fifteen to thirty minutes a day (for six days), at the end of the week you would have anywhere from 90 minutes to 3 hours of work done. For as little a time investment as fifteen minutes a day!

Ninety minutes of work on a project may not seem like a lot. Three hours of work may not seem like much either. But if you're spending absolutely zero amount of hours on a project, then isn't an hour better than nothing? Isn't it better to move forward at a crawl than to not move forward at all?

You can sew an entire outfit in just fifteen minutes a day....if you keep at it every day until it's finished. You can clean your garage in just fifteen minutes a day....if you keep at it. You can build muscle or exercise and lose weight in just fifteen minutes a day....if you keep at it.

What project do you have at home that is waiting for your time and attention? What has been frustrating you but you keep putting it off because you just don't have the time to do it? What needs doing but isn't getting done because you keep waiting for huge blocks of time....that never come?

I know you can find fifteen minutes a day can't you? If you can't, can you find five minutes...three times a day? Isn't it worth the fifteen minutes if it means you can get started on some project that's been making you feel guilty or frustrating you?

Even five minutes a day will add up to a half hour at the end of six days. It all adds up. Take advantage of the little minutes, the little pockets of time to clean or accomplish something today. Get started on something today. After all, how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!

16 comments:

  1. Well, when you break it all down like that...then gee...I got 5 minutes! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, you always make me feel like things are sooooo doable. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ugh! and you call yourself a friend??Lol , I really need to face the "enemy basket w/all the wrinkled clothes!!!!!!!!!!" waaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaa, but you're right! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really good at thinking of all the things I need to do, and then not doing anything...like really really good at that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so true! I've found that I can do a LOT in a little amount of time. I was able to clean out 2 cabinets yesterday because of taking it a little bit at a time. The day before that I did another cabinet, too! :D I wish I could do the same with scrapbooking though. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, when you put it that way...I can do it! You are so wise! THanks for sharing. I love to set the kitchen timer...that really helps too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the encouragement! Sometimes projects can seem so overwhelming. It helps to think of big tasks in smaller increments. (I also thought about the reverse application- how much time I spend on the computer- 5 minutes here and there can really add up!)

    My latest post: WFMW: Free Magazines

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is not related to your post, just wanted to let you know i have an award for you http://www.mommyjourney.com/2009/02/best-mom-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! Thank you for breaking down my projects for me. Now if I can only learn to break that procrastination habit :o)

    Take care my friend! I hope your mother is doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very good advice! And very true! And also how you get your time eaten away from important things too...yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by my blog. The Power of the Praying Wife was the book I was talking about. Thank you. Your so right with the 15 minutes a day thing. We don't move until March 26th and have already started packing and stuff. I told my husband if we do a little each night we won't be crazy people the last week. Well I hope not.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What great advice! I have been working on keeping my kitchen clean using this method. It used to be such a chore, but now I just do a little bit here and there and it is mostly clean now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I can...I think I can...oh look! I did!
    I love this...I have been trying to do that 10 minutes a day the whole lot of us clean up what ever is around us...mostly toys..lol and it works!

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Just fifteen minutes" is the ULTIMATE motivator. I use it every day, several times a day. Don't want to clean up the kitchen after dinner? I'll set a timer and committ to "JUST fifteen minutes" (which is usually all it takes, anyway.) Every morning we wake up and spend JUST fifteen minutes cleaning up the bedrooms. Then JUST fifteen minutes cleaning up after breakfast. Then JUST fifteen minutes sweeping the floors... etc, etc. Now I need to start spending "JUST" fifteen minutes getting some sewing done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So true! I bet I can finish knitting that scarf in the next 6 days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're so right. And now I must get my butt up off this chair and go clean out the van.

    Pray for me...fertility clinic appt. tomorrow at 3 PM :)

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!