Sunday, February 1, 2009

AT THE WELL: THE HEART OF TITUS 2


The topic for today's visit At The Well is "The Heart of Titus 2."

Here are the discussion questions: When you read the Scripture found in Titus 2: 2-5, how do you see this playing out in your own life? What are your areas of strength? Of weakness? If you could set some sort of goal in relation to this Scripture, what would it be?


“But as for you, speak the things which are proper for sound doctrine: that the older men be sober, reverent, temperate, sound in faith, in love, in patience; the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things— that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed." Titus 2: 1-5

I love these verses in Titus 2. They are such a challenge and an encouragement to me. Through every stage of our life we are to encourage one another, lift one another up and build one another in the Lord. Every woman is an older woman, every woman is a younger one.

It doesn't have to be about physical age. You can be younger than someone physically but be older than them in your spiritual walk in Christ. You can be younger than someone but be able to encourage them and minister to them with the things that the Lord is teaching and showing you. You can be older than someone and be able to share with them some of what God has been teaching you in your walk with Him.

We older woman are to live our lives with a purpose. Our purpose is to live for Him. We shouldn't be busybodies, sitting around and gossiping and complaining that the younger women are not raising their children the way that we raised ours. We want to be builders, encouragers.

We want to encourage one another in the wonderful blessing of being a keeper of our home and serving our husbands and our children in the Lord. We want to be in the construction business of building our homes, not the destruction business.

There is never a retirement age for serving the Lord. We are never "done" serving Him and ministering. We are to use our gifts to build up the body of Christ. He has given us gifts and we need to use them to serve and minister to others.


These verses show that we are to continue to mentor, to serve, to encourage one another as we grow older. Sometimes, that serving may include helping out in the nursery while a young mother is in the service being ministered too. Sometimes it may be offering an encouraging word, a meal, an offer to babysit. Sometimes it may be that we need to give a word of comfort, a listening ear, encouragement or wise counsel.

I love to encourage younger women in their walk with the Lord as well as in their role as wife and mother and keeper of their home. A young mother might feel very lonely and isolated sometimes being home all day. I love to connect with them as I can.

The problem is that as we age, sometimes our lives can get so busy. Or we may feel that we've raised our kids, or have almost raised them, and we don't want to go back to that stage. We like the peace and quiet so we may not want to volunteer to babysit or help out in the nursery or spend some time visiting with a young mom and her children.

Sometimes the younger generation of mothers is picking up the slack because the older generation of mothers is not doing their job. There are lots of things you can do to build or encourage a young mother.
You could start with helping out in the church nursery, or taking her a meal so that she doesn't have to cook that day. Offer to teach a Sunday School class and teach her child about the Lord like someone taught your child when they were younger. Send her a note, a card, or call her up and ask "How can I pray for you today?"

My desire, as I prayerfully read through these verses, is that the Lord will impress someone on my heart that He wants me to minister to this week, with either a phone call, a note, a letter or whatever He shows me. Please go here to see what others are saying At The Well!

12 comments:

  1. "We want to be in the construction business of building our homes, not the destruction business. "

    Love this analogy!!!

    Thanks so much for sharing your heart and the wonderful words of wisdom you have offered up today! I am thrilled that you have decided to join us today At the Well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post! It's so true!! I'm so blessed to have "older" women disciple me, and I'm so blessed to have been able to minister to other women as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post and rest assured when the Lord sees us trying to help others...He will always bring about the help when we need it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing. It is great to have people of all ages joining in do God's work. It isn't about us but all about HIM!

    Thank you for pointing me to At the Well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post! We should definitely be in the business of constructing, rather than deconstructing our homes! Great point. So glad you joined us here At the Well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure that this passage hits close to you...being a Pastor's wife...you are able to minister to women of all ages. I hope that I am allowing the Lord to use me in that area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully written! It is so true that our physical age is not what is important here but our spiritual maturity. We can all benefit from other Christian women...of all ages.

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "We want to be in the construction business of building our homes, not the destruction business. "

    I love this statement. That is definitely the business I want to be in. My friend, I think you are truly living out Titus 2 through your blog. You are such an inspiration and an encouragement to me. You'll never know how much you bless me. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "There is never a retirement age for serving the Lord. We are never "done" serving Him and ministering." This is so true!

    I loved your point about serving in the nursery--after taking a couple years off, I just started back this last year. I remember all too well how much it meant to me when the older ladies covered the nursery so I could have an hour to focus on God's word--without interruption. Great point!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the peace and wisdom that has come with age. I do smile at the younger women obsessing and agonizing over things that don't truly improve the quality of their lives and the lives they are creating for their families. Community allows the young to see the old and the old to see the young and we can all learn from each other, if our eyes and hearts are open.

    ReplyDelete
  11. great post :) what an encouragement :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amen & Amen! I have been very blessed to have wonderful, godly women who have supported & encouraged me through many moments of my life. With my grandma, mom & mother in law being at the top of the list!

    It is my desire to be the same kind of example for my children, family, friends & strangers. And the only way that I can possibly do that is by allowing the Lord to work & minister to me and through me.

    Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!