Saturday, January 24, 2009

YUMMY POTATO SOUP RECIPE

Here's a yummy recipe for potato soup that is very filling and will warm you up on a cold day!

Ingredients:
8 medium-large potatoes (peeled and diced)
3 carrots (I slice them but you can shred them if you want)
3 stalks of celery (diced)
1 medium onion (diced)
6 cups of water
4 to 6 tablespoons of butter (can use up to 8 tablespoons), or could use margarine i/o butter
8 tablespoons of flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
3 cups of milk
1 8-oz. package of cream cheese (I use light)
1 family size can 98% fat free cream of chicken soup (or 2 15-oz. cans)

In a large kettle cook potatoes, carrots and celery in 6 cups of water until tender (medium to medium-high heat). Do not drain!

In another saucepan melt butter (or margarine). Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Add the milk gradually, stirring constantly until it's thickened (bring almost to a boil to thicken it, although you don't have to). Add the cream cheese and the chicken soup.

Then add the cream mixture to the potato mixture. Heat thoroughly over a low heat. I like to serve this with crumbled bacon and shredded cheese.

If you prefer to add an onion, you can saute the onions, carrots and celery in some oil first.

7 comments:

  1. Oh yum, this ounds awesome. I actually have everything to make it. I think I'll try it today and let you know how it goes over. It's a perfect day for a hearty soup. i think it's going to be like a high of 10 degress today, yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing...sounds like something I could actually make. LOL I will let you know when i try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does sound yummy, but cream cheese? I've never made it before nor have I looked up a recipe for it, so, really, cream cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yum! This sounds scrumptious! We love potato soup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shanna, Yes, in my recipe I use cream cheese. I use the lowfat kind because I want to lower the fat content. I do the same with the soup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simple MW Mom: It surely will warm up your tummy today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds good Sweetie. I will have to try this one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!

So I'd still love to hear from you! Just don't type out a link to share! ;)