Thursday, December 4, 2008

THE BATTLE OF THE LEG HAIR

 
Image courtesy of marin at FreeDigitalPhotos.net


O.k., whose brilliant idea was it that women should shave their legs? C'mon...'fess up....I really want to know! Who came up with that stupid idea?

What person sat a woman down one day and said, "Look, I really think that your legs would look better smooth. Seriously. Have you ever considered how much nicer they might look? Here, I want you to take this very sharp, dangerous instrument and scrape it across your legs as hard as you can. Be sure and do this several times, as hard as you can. Don't worry if you draw blood, it's only superficial."

"Next, I want you to take this very sharp, dangerous instrument and let it get dull until it barely works. Once it's dull, take it and scrape it up and down your legs, again, as hard as you can. Do this several times. Don't worry if the skin on your leg peels off....it will grow back." Who said that? Who did that? You're just dying to say a man, aren't you? Aren't you?

There are lots of women in other countries who have better things to do than sit there and measure the hair on their legs. Just so you know that I love you guys and am always looking out for you all....I did a google search on why women shave their legs. Clearly, I have waaaaaay to much time on my hands. Would somebody please get me a life? O.k., back to the search. Anyway, there were more answers than I cared to think about and I couldn't bring myself to read any of them. I just decided that there were just some things that we aren't meant to understand. Leg hair is one of them.

I mean, are my hairy legs hurting anybody???? Has anybody ever been stabbed by a stray leg hair? Has anybody ever crashed their vehicle because they were so distracted by the sheer weight of it all? Has anybody ever decided they couldn't go on anymore, unless I shaved, mowed, or braided them? Has anybody ever screamed "My eyes! My eyes!?" Has anybody ever lost their breakfast because of it? Have small children ever ran away crying because of it? (well, maybe they have...I dunno.)

I ask you. Do people write songs about it? Do they cry about it? Do they break up over it? No! No! and, again, No!

So what is the big hairy deal?.....(ooooooh, I am so sorry but I just couldn't resist that.) It is winter time for goodness sake.....winter. Winter when we all need a little extra warmth to keep us warm. Winter when it's time to slow down, and enjoy the leisurely pace. Winter when it's time to hide all of our chocolate splurges under big ole' sweaters and comfy clothes. Winter where we can wear boots, or long skirts or jeans, and just hide our hairy little secret.

C'mon now, admit it, you got some hair-thing happening don't ya...don't ya?! Oh. No. It's just me.....all along....I knew it was just me! I thought that I was taking a stand and being brave, looking out for you all, taking one for the team. I stand alone. Just me. Just me and my legs. All hairy. Now I suppose you will never come back and visit again, if you've even read this far. I have horrified you all. And don't ask me why I am even posting on this ridiculous subject.....I think it was the cinnamon and sugar pretzel.

Men don't have to shave their legs or under their arms. They don't even have to shave their faces if they don't want to. It's just not fair!!!!!

Don't even get me started on my armpits......

(I am linking this to The Lettered Cottage!)

36 comments:

  1. I hate shaving too, so in the winter it is only out of survival that I shave. Who has time with 3 crazy active kids. LOL
    YOu are hysterical. lOve the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I'm not horrified at all! In fact, I think it might be true for most women to not shave their legs this time of year! Well, as much, maybe! I think it's because right now, you will hardly see anyone wearing shorts or capris!! Well, unless you live in Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are too funny my friend!

    Yes, I must admit I hate the whole shaving thing! And I have to admit that I try to shave as little as possible during the winter. Thank goodness for an understanding hubby!

    Take care my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He And Me: On the other hand, with three kids you could hide out in the bathroom shaving happily away! It would be a break, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alicia, good point. I forgot that some people have really warm climates even during winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Named Alicia: Amen to the understanding hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear ya!! And while we're on the subject, why is it that men with gray in their hair look distinguished. But women just look dowdy and old?!! It ain't fair.

    My husband has always had a mustache (well, since I've known him), but just last month he decided to grow a goatee thing. It is about half gray/half black...and it looks fabulous. But a woman with that much gray would feel UGLY. Tell me, why the double standard?!

    Blessings on your day,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am with you on this one. I usually wear long enough skirts to cover my legs most of the why, and I do not shave unless I am planning on wearing a slightly below the knee length skirt.
    But I have to say, I do not have beautiful legs anyway. I used to have lovely legs, but that ended permanently after my fourth child. Don’t get me wrong, having children does not seem to affect most women’s legs as it has mine. Nine of my sisters have more children than I have, and not one of them has legs like mine.
    So I say, why shave?

    Love Ernestine :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since I'm not of the female persuation, I can't comment on the leg or armpit shaving, but I do give my face the day off every now and then. I mainly commented to say that you crack me up! Love your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! LOL I remember when I was in 6th grade and I begged my mom to let me shave my legs. She said "no," that I had to wait another year. Well, I didn't listen, and guess what? It got old real fast. It's like I'm a slave to my hairy legs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! Very funny stuff! :o) Sister, I'm so used to shaving my legs in the shower every morning that I don't think twice about it. And I'm tall -- I have some LONG legs! (But I also live in the south ... lol.)

    Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG!!!! YOU ARE HYSTERICAL!!! I love it!
    my dad used to think he was sooooo funny when he would phone before it was supposed to get cold outside and say "don't shave your legs tonight...it's supposed to snow!" he thought he was SOOOO funny!
    I defied my mom and started to shave my legs...and of course I could not listen to even a portion of what she said....and shaved all the way to the top of my leg...just barely stopping at my bum!!! fortunately it never really grew back on the top of my legs...but I am one of those gals that even if I don't need to do it...I shave daily!
    yes I am insane...have you not noticed that yet? lol
    thanks for the giggle and the confession of something so very near and dear to all of our hearts...I

    have I mentioned that I LOVE your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Patti: My hubby loves gray hair on women. He thinks they look better that way. However, he knows that I will be coloring my hair when it starts to get really gray. I secured that promise while we were engaged...I think ahead, boy!

    I do think that gray hair can age you, but it can also look so very beautiful. I think it depends on what colors your wearing or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ernestine, I don't think my legs changed at all. They've pretty much always been fairly thin. However, my feet went up a shoe size per child. One size per child!!! If I had as many kids as your mother did do you know how big my feet would be???? Oh.My. Goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Robin, Thank you! I especially appreciate it coming from a different perspective. For the record, I know that faces are sensitive too, as evidence by my husband's and my son's cuts sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. DarcyLee: I know. I begged my mom in 7th grade, and it wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be. I also shaved my arms in 7th grade but I only did that once. Some of my friend were trying it so I tried it too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beth, Every day? You are my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tootsie! You are so sweet. I love your blog too! You shave daily too? You are my hero, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are funny!
    I actually hate leg hair. I shave nearly every day because I can't stand the pricklies... maybe I'm just a weirdo!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have to share this secret and please do not hate me butttt..... I don't have hair on my legs at all, I maybe Maybe shave them once a year for the peach fuzz but no hair on my legs ever. Now if you want to talk eyebrows, If I don't keep that under control I will have a unibrow big and thick so maybe all the hair from my legs went to my forehead I don't know but I would rather wax a tiny area above my eyes than have to shave my legs daily....

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOLOL...great post...funny stuff. And yeah so what...My leg hair looks just like my schnauzer's leg hair...it's even the same color...so sue me! Thats what long pants are for!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Honey Mommy, Well, you're in good company because several people on here have admitted to shaving every day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lisa: Wow, I can't even imagine getting away with once once or twice a year. Now, my eyebrows I only pluck once or twice a year....so I guess we're even, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nikkicrumpet: You are so funny! I've seen a picture of your schnauzer, so now you've given me a great verbal picture here, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  25. No it's not fair. I often let my legs go for weeks - WEEKS - in the winter - I admit it! So funny - just when I pulled your post up this commercial came on TV about this product called "Smooth Away" this buffer product you rub on your legs in circles and it, I guess, YANKS the hairs out - IDUNNO -HA!

    Have a good Friday - Kellan

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kellan: Talk about perfect timing, lol! That sounds painful, ow! I wonder about creams too. It seems like if a cream can just dissolve the leg hair than you gotta wondering what else it's doing....yikes! I'll stick to shaving.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are hysterical!

    I hate to shave my legs and don't shave them as much in the winter...well, I shave just short of them becoming a deadly weapon in bed...just for my hubby's sake...not mine.

    My arms are as hairly as my legs...and yes, I shave them too and have for years.

    As for Patti and the gray on women...Amen, Sista! I am also completely gray but I won't be gray until I'm so old that I look stupid with colored hair :-)

    You cracked me up today with this post but you are right on the money, girl...keep on preaching it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Jennifer, I loved what you said about them being a weapon in bed, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  29. this is my first time visiting.

    I like your writing. You are hilarious!

    Really enjoying the read.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Eagle's Wings, Thank you and I'm glad you stopped by! BTW, I love that song "Eagle's Wings" or whatever the actual title is!

    ReplyDelete
  31. My poor hubby....he makes fun of my prickly winter legs. This is something I really "forget" to do. I think that by not shaving them as often, he appreciates them more when they are smooth! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Jess: I "forget" to do it too, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I LOVED this post! I needed a good laugh! I totally agree! The other day Jimmy asked me if I thought it was time to "mow" my legs! Oops! I guess I went a little long! ;-)

    Thank you for the comment about Bella's birthday. I am sorry it took me so long to tell you! Life has been a little more nutty than normal lately! Bella had a great time and was really mad when we tried to take the cake away from her!

    Love you!
    Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  34. Naomi, Hey, I can't blame her....I'd get really mad if someone tried to take cake away from me, lol!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by today! Please feel free to subscribe to my blog and/or follow me on facebook. The links are at the bottom of each post.

Thank you for leaving a comment. I love hearing from you! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so I don't have to delete!

Please don't leave a link to your blog (or anyone else's) in your comment. Due to google's new comment spam policy, any comments with links will have to be deleted to protect both you and me!